Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

New teats - how often??

Hi ladies,

Wonder if you can help me, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should buy new teats every few months or so.

Is this true? Do any of you do this?

Lo is 9 weeks old tommorow and we use TT bottles and are using no 2 teats, we also have no 1 teats and vari flow ones which we aren't using at the moment.

I don't mind buying new teats if there is a reason t odo so, but will work out very expensive changing every few months if this is the case.

Any help would be great, thank you xx

Replies

• TBH I wouldn't know as have had to up the size of the TT teats every 8 weeks anyway due to my lo's feeding going funny! She was on size 2 at 8 weeks and size 3 at 16 weeks! She will not take variflo at all!

I personally think it will probably be judgement as to whether or not to replace them! If they look ok and they are no tears, rips, scratches etc then I can't see an issue! If there is any wear though I would replace them! Otherwise you may get dried milk / bacteria in the teat which you can't wash out!
  • Hi, I wouldn't buy more just cuz you've had them for x amount of weeks etc. I am using teats for Hugh that Rawdon had when he younger...I have only binned two - 1 Rawdon had bitten through & the other my hubby broke by being too forceful when cleaning a teat for the first time!!!
    Years ago teats were made of something that went sticky with age & deteriated but mine are fine. My sister has given me her pump she bought 8yrs ago which has some teats in & they are as new!

I bought TT bottles for Hugh & some vari flow teats but I'm not impressed with TT vari flow as it is basically a big hole! - AVENT is a slit which makes a bigger hole depending on which way around you're holding it, much better.
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/K8A2p1.png