Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Formula - Constipated @ 10 1/2 weeks (also in Baby)

Evening ladies,

I am hopeful of getting some advice on brands of formula image

Grace was mixed fed for her first month, and then went onto Cow and Gate stage 1. She was a hungry baby, taking 5-6ox every 1 1/2 hours hence the HV suggested putting her onto the C&G stage 2 hungrier baby formula.

Since going onto formula, she has suffered from constipation. This has gradually been getting worse. She is not a fan of water, and just pushes the bottle away. However, I took the HV's advice and give her the HIPP Organic flavoured mineral water of which she will take approx 1/2 a jar a day.

I was wondering - please can anyone suggest what else could help, or recommend a different formula, suitable for a 'hungry' baby which doesn't cause constipation? I was considering Aptamil, but would be grateful for any advice/ experiences.

Thank you!

Em and Grace (10 1/2 weeks) x

Replies

• Options
    I used aptamil hb at night and never had any issues with my lo. Something I was also told is if you give them a carton of formula, this can help with constipation as it has more sugar in it?! Might be worth a try to see if anything happens! Other than that I am not sure I am afraid as my lo has never suffered. even though she never used to drink a lot of water and hated juice!
  • Options
    My LO sometimes suffers from constipation (which is v.confusing as he's on the Cow & Gate Stage 1 Comfort formula which is supposed to help alleviate colic and constipation!). He's also suffering from teething so we've been using dentinox teething gel which has a product in it that can make babies poo looser/more regular (she's a senior nurse with 30yrs experience - so I can definately trust her!). If your LO is also suffering from sore gums it might be a solution to both problems? My HV advised me to put a tiny amount of orange juice (literally only about 5 drops) into water and to let LO have some in between feeds. Good luck x
  • Options
    I would change to Aptimel. My lo suffered on cow & gate and had to constantly give water between feeds. started on aptimel and never needed any more water!!!!

hth xxx
  • Options
    Hey ladies,

thank you for the advice. Think I will switch across to Aptamil, going to have a chat with the HV first as Grace seems to be going off her food and perhaps isn't a 'hungry' baby any more? She's more interested in what I eat!

Thanks again,

Em x
  • Options
    ready made formular (cartons) have added lactalose so effectivly help constipation. my hv advised this and also advised adding extra oz of water to two feeds a day and worked wonders with amelia. cow and gate do and comfort range wich is easy digest might b worth a try.

Sarah xx
  • Options
    Aptamil is fab. My LO has it and he poos everyday and its always quite loose. Aptamil suppose to be good. xx