Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Storing prepared SMA milk

hey, im bottle feeding my week old baby on sma. Can anyone tell me if its OK to make a few bottles in the morning and store them in the fridge to use on the same day?? And when it comes to using them, heat it in a bottle warmer. The reason i ask is because on the tin of sma it tells you how to prepare an individual bottle, but when i speak to parents, they tell me how they used to make a few and store them in fridge when i was little and on sma.

Can any of you help put my mind at rest please??

Bex
x x

Replies

• hi Bex, bit of a minefield this one! The official DOH guidance is that it's not ok to make them in advance and all bottles should be made individually, ,or at least by keeping a flask of hot water ready and then making the bottle and cooling quickly under cold tap when it's needed. However, loads and loads of folk still do it as your parents did (and I will admit I did until recently when I had to start adding Gaviscon into the feed and that made it go lumpy) - now I have a thermal insulator bag from Avent, and I make up a bottle of cooled boiled water (keeps temp for 3 hours in the bag) and when I need to I add the powder and sit in a bowl of ice old water to cool it d own - less faff than it sounds and it takes no time to cool down like that, surprisingly. The other thing I do if I'm out is use ready made cartons and then sit them in a beaker that comes with my Fisherprice bottle warmer flask to heat them up (DD really likes her milk about as warm as I dare give it to her!) xxx
  • Hi Bex, I had the same question! My daugher is 2 weeks today, and when we got home, after having the brilliant ready made bottles in hospital, I was stumped about how I was going to manage to keep up with the feeds. After speaking to some friends, and our community midwife, I decided to make them up in advance, and then pop them in the fridge. We then use a bottle warmer to warm them up when we need them. We've done this since we got home, and Eva takes them no probs. When she wakes up hungry, she screams the house down - theres no way we could wait 30 mins for boiled water to cool!!! xxx
  • we use a thermos flask and boil the kettle, cool it for 30 mins then flask it. when its time to make up the feed, it takes no time at all because all we need to do is add powder and cool down.
    we can also take the flask out with us.
    we have also used the ready made cartons when out and about
  • If you look back you will find loads of threads on this topic. I make mine up for the day, cool them off quickly in sink of cold water and put in fridge, then I heat when needed. I then make the night ones in the evening. When I go out I take a sealed sterilised bottle with me, measured powder and a flask of hot water. Its tricky because the advice is the water needs to be around 70 degrees so unless you buy a thermometre its never going to happen exactly right! My lo is 16 weeks now and I have had no problems x