Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

ADVICE NEEDED ON HOW MUCH FORMULA TO GIVE!

Hi Ladies,
My son Jack is 5 weeks and 3 days old and up until 3 weeks i was breast feeding but had to switch to formula as he wasn't feeding well and getting enough. I was giving him 6x5oz bottles but increased this to 6oz bottles on Friday as he was crying after feeds as though he was still hungry.
However over last 4 days he has become very unsettled and crying a lot in the day and not sleeping as much in the day either. He is also crying after he has finished his bottle. He was unsettled like this when i was breast feeding him.
Am not sure whether to increase his bottles to 7oz or try hungry baby milk? He just seems so unsettled now. He is also bringing up some of his milk so not sure if got reflux whixh is causing him some discomfort.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Naomi

Replies

• I just go by the guidelines on the side of the carton. I know the hungrier baby mix makes them more windy. Your HV would be able to advise too. It could also be that your bbay is going through a growth spurt which is around 6 weeks, hence the desire for 'cluster feeds' etc. My ds is now 9 weeks and did the same at 6 weeks x
  • my lo was the same, she just kept wanting more and more.
    we were feeding her cow and gate stage 1 and she was having 8oz every 4 hours and crying alot, altho she was also very colicy.
    we then put her on stage 2 hungrier baby and she went back to 7oz and calmed down.
    i would go with ur instincs and do the same, you know ur lo better than anyone and if it doesnt work keep trying other things.
    anabel was such a hungry bub that we started weaning her at 18 weeks xxx
    she is now a happy healthy 11mth old.
    her weight did go up and down alot but nothing to worry about xxx
  • oh and anabel was having 6 8oz bottles, when we went to stage 2 she was still having 6 bottles but back to 7oz, she was more content and also had more and longer snoozes xxxx
  • Dreamer1, I'm having the same, my lo just wants to keep eating and doesn't seem content between feeds. She was having 7oz every 4ish hours but I've just increased it to 8oz. She's having 5 bottles a day. I'm seeing the hv on wed so going to ask about hungrier baby formula as 8oz seems such a lot for an 11 week old
  • I would make up an 8 oz bottle , the Health Visitor told me they should never drain a bottle . I think cause you don't know how hungry they are , James used to take 8 so i had to buy bigger bottles.