Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Aptamil Cartons...

Hi ladies and babies,

After some advice please -

We used Easy Digest/Comfort but in the early days had cartons of no 1 which we used before we went onto ED - but I have always kept a carton of no 1 in the changing bag for emergencies etc, well I had one of monday when we were sat having a coffee in a cafe and I'd put the wrong sized teat on the bottle on ED and it wouldnt come out properly so she wouldn't drink it.

I ended up pouring it away and trying to give her to no 1 milk, but she wouldnt drink it - it did smell and taste like vanilla slimfast - what do i do?

I want to have a carton of something for emergencies - I have some of the hungry baby milk so maybe I use one of those? Has anyone else found this too?

xx

Replies

• hi unfortuantely they don't make cartons in comfort milks or soya milks (grrr) and i really wldn't recommend that u switch her milk for ease when being out, i'm assuming there is a reason u put her on the comfort milk (eg reflux)? in which case giving her a milk that isn't made for sensitive tummies cld cause her to be very uncortable as it wld iritae her tummy whic ni presume is why u wld've put her on the comfort in the first place....also carton milks (even if same type ie carton aptamil1st vs ppowder aptamil1st) are treated differently and actually are a fair bit sweeter because of this. if u want somehting for giving her when out, then u can get little milk powder dispensers which u can fill before u go out, and fill the bottle with cooled boiled water, then add the powder when u need it, and/or if u already do this, make sure u use the right size teat by throwing out the smaller ones, or just store them out of the way (we have a box of spare teates, lids etc on top of the kitchen cupboard so not mixed in with the ones we use but if things change or go missing then we can get them out)

hth xx
  • Hi Siany,

thanks for your reply. I dont think I explained myself very well, I carry a carton around for emergencies, i.e my car broke down or something and LO was screaming for a feed, really as a just n case.
    She doesn't have reflux of anything like that, but in the early days when we were getting the hang of things she was quite sicky, so we tried the ED as it was thicker, and it worked fine so we haven't seen a reason to change it at all.

I just dont like the idea of not having a back up milk incase I need one.
    Whenever I go out for the day I always take 1 extra than I'll need anyway.....so maybe I shouldn't bother with a back up, I'm jsst not sure.

I might keep a carton in the bag anyway, as I'm sure if LO was starving and I couldnt get her her normal milk she would drink it.

I think this is my only option and just hopefully I wont need it.

Thanks again xx
  • I also carry cartons in my bag for emergencies hun. I normally use powder but like you, want cartons in case we ever get stranded and can't get any water for the powder. The girls are on SMA Staydown but that doesn't come in cartons so I always carried normal SMA cartons. I've used those and am now carrying 2 cartons of follow-on as we're moving to that as soon as we have finished our current tub of Staydown.
    I would say that you'd be fine to carry No. 1 cartons for emergencies. One carton isn't going to bung her up I wouldn't think. Maybe it's worth trying her with a carton at home first though? Or do you think it smelled of milkshake cos you've had it for a while? Maybe she refused it cos she had already got herself into a state about the ED milk not coming out properly rather than the way it smelled?
    xx
  • Thanks T4BM - I've just realised in a month we will also be switching to follow-on milk so I can get a carton or 2 of that to carry around.

My biggest problem/worry was that I would be giving her a different milk to her normal one which wasn't ideal.

Next time Im in a supermarket i will see if they do cartons of follow on.
    xx
  • They do do cartons of follow on in Aptamil as I always have one in the bag and one in the cupboard for emergencies!

Maybe the number one was funny because it was old? I wouldn't have thought the occasional change of milk in an emergency would harm your lo anyway!