Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

masitis drained using local aneasphetic

Hi, lila is 16 weeks, i had to go to hospital to get my bood drained yesterday after it hadnt cleared up after course of anti biotics. When my dr sent me she said it would be done under a GA! Which had me in a major panik! Luckily i ended up only with a local aneasephtic... I have got to go back and have it again on monday. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? My boobs is alot redder now than it was originaly and is still hard, is this normal? I am so worried they are going to say i need it done under GA! This just would be a COMPLETE nightmare, lila doesnt take a bottle, we have tried every bottle going, so me leaving her really isnt an option. How many times should i expect to need to have it drained? It is such bad timing, timing, the hospital is 40 Mins away, the weather is bad and expectd to get worse and i could do withoug waiting around for hours waiting to be seen, with a 16 week old, in the week before xmas! Any experiences! Im so stressed about it x

Replies

• hi there,

i had an abcess drained which had formed after unsuccessful treatment of mastitus - is this what you mean?

I made a post about it......

I was in agony with mine and had it drained about 5 times in all, 4 times with Local, and once with nothing!!! (this was because I had too long between drainings and it burst out of the previous needle passage and was inflamed. Apparently local doesn't work on inflamed skin!) I won't lie, not having the local was the worst pain I have ever experienced......

Do not leave it too long between draining!

Good news is, it all did the trick and never came back image
  • Hi, sorry to read about the problems you're having. I don't know anything about the mastitis side but I did have an operation under GA when my baby was 5 months old. It was quite a major op and was exclusively breastfeeding at the time. As well as the GA I had strong anti-sickness meds and painkillers and I was bed-ridden for over a week (inner ear operation). I was really worried about my baby as he wouldn't take a bottle either, but I needn't have been. I missed just one feed and he reluctantly took an ounce or two of expressed milk given to him by my husband. He then visited me in hospital and I fed him last thing at night then again first thing in the morning. Some babies will just wait till their mum is available again with little problem. Even with nearly a 3hr surgery and major medication I was advised that I could feed my baby as soon as I came round and remembered I had one!

Good luck x
  • Oh god. I found it uncomfortable enough with the local! You poor thing... Definatly wont leave it to long then, next question how long is too long? Lol.. I had it on fri, got it again on monday and not sure after that! Maybe wednesday then possibly friday i guess! Oh what a hassle, the busiest week of my year and im gna be travelling back and forward image feeling totaly sorry for myself! Glad to hear it didnt come back! Did u carry on bfeeding after it cleard up? I dont no what im doing wrong, ive had it twice now, cleared up first time with anti biotics, before an abcess appeared. Im following all the tips etc on avoiding it xx
  • Thanks, that is reasuring. You must have missed your baby, but very good u managed to carry on feeding yourself! Fingers crossed it wont come to that for me, they do say babies would take the bottle if they were hungry! But on the few times we have really tried to ge t her to take the botl, she has showed no signs of giving in. And i cant be so cruel. X
  • i gave up expressing/feeding shortly after it cleared up. My milk stopped in the affected breast and i'd had enough to be honest.

Fri to monday is the longest i went normally. When it burst I think it was a thurs to tues and clearly too long lol. You will know yourself because immediately after having it done it feels soooooo much better, and then gets worse as it refills with puss and you get the fever back.

Mastitus is very common sadly. i can't comment on your case but when i got it first, I think it was partly related to using nipple shields (i never managed to breast feed properly). Had antibiotics and it cleared.

The second time I got it, I left it a bit too long before getting antibiotics, ended up in A&E with the pain and fever, and they gave me the wrong ones. Obviuosly didn't clear it up and i went downhill so went to docs who gave me the SAME WRONG antibiotics. Ended up in A&E again and finally got the right meds but by then nothing ws working. I finally got refered to the breast unit after I told my doc I couldn't cope and didn't want my baby anymore........the clinic were fab, found the abcess straight away and sorted it out. image

I have since discovered that my maternal Grandmother got an abcess the same, and my mum got mastitus so I think you are either prone to it or not!

grrrrr, bloody boobs!

good luck with your treatment

xx
  • Thanks for your reply. To be honest i am feeling really down about it all. I really feel now that i want to put lila onto bottles, i dont want this to happen again, it has made me feel so down and the panicing i did yesterday thinking id need to go to theatre has left me feeling very emotionally drained. I just dont know how to get lila to take a bottle! We have ordered a new bottle to try- adiri or something, supposed to be good and very boob like, next thing to try after that will be a sippy cup. Its just such a worry for me, lila uses me as a comfort quite alot, especially to settle down at night, and doesnt take a dummy either! Fingers crossed things have settled down and i can enjoy christmas! Thanks again, im so glad u replied x
  • you really have my sympathy, it makes you feel so so ill. and if you've avoided theatre that is brilliant! I don't have any suggestions about feeding baby on bottles because fotunately my lo took to them fine.

I was heart broken about going onto formula and got myself into quite a mess over it, but in the end it worked out fine and i know it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have gone through it all again either.

one thing tho, since this happened to me, I have been ill will everything going. My nurse at the clinic told me it would happen because when you have the baby your immune system is low and then instead of getting a chance to recover after the birth, you've had to deal with the mastitus/abcess. She recommended I take enchinea and good quality vitamins every day to help. Can't say it has, but then I don't know how much worse i would have been without them. Just be warned!
  • Oh lovely! Thanks for the warning, will give the vits a go. X
  • goodness you have been through it, so sorry to hear about your mastitis image I had it 5 times in 3 months but didnt need it drained, hope you get on ok and are able to get lo to take a bottle ((hugs))