Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thrush treatment advice please

Been struggling with ductal thrush for about two and a half weeks now and been to the docs three times, once with the PDF from the bfn website and once with a sheet from the hv. First they gave us daktarin oral gel, didn't work, had to call emergency doc on sun as lo missed two feeds, had spots in her mouth and cried for hours on end, got nystatin and clotrimizole cream, hasn't worked, saw doc on fri who didn't believe it existed and told me it would go away when I stopped feeding, (lo is 7 weeks so that will be a pretty long time away!), he must have thought about it as he called me back and said he would prescribe me the meds but is very toxic, dangerous & I'd need to sign a disclaimer. Obviously I'm worried but feeding is agony & I know a lot of people have taken the treatment, I was just wondering what the risks are & if anyone's lo's had been poorly after? Need to do something but don't want to risk harming my little girl.

Replies

• Take it you mean Fluconazole? I took the tablet last week as needed to get rid of thrush. Harry (6 weeks) was fine.

We were the other way round from you - Nystatin and Clotrimazole prescribed first. Then went back after 4 days and got Daktarin and a Fluconazole tablet. I'm still putting Daktarin on Harry's dummy and clotrimazole cream on me as not 100% sure it's gone but I may be panicking. Burning def gone from my nips - just hurts when latch is bad, but I'm going to keep going for a bit longer just to be safe.

I'd take the tablet - the BN site says that the Fluc tablet you take will be less than an actual prescription for a baby so I took comfort from that.And figured it was better to keep on with BF and take the risk.

Hope that helps

xx
  • You may need more than just theinitial tablet though if in your ducts - I'd go for it - get rid of the thrush so you can carry on BFing without pain.

Good Luck - hope you are sorted soon
  • We've finally cleared up ductal thrush after nearly 6 weeks of pain and weekly doctor visits trying to get the right medication! The creams/gels won't touch the ductal pain unfortunately, the only thing that worked for us was a week's course of 150mg Fluconazole. I had to fight for it, the doctor didn't want to prescribe it but I kept on at her until she did!

In all honesty I did not notice any side effects in my LO, but you have to be happy in your own decision to take it. For me, I was happy to go with the recommendation of La Leche League - I figured they knew what they were talking about!

Get it sorted quickly - BF is so much easier without the pain! xx
  • argh!!! this is the 2nd time today I have answered one of these posts - bloody useless doctors. Fluconazole is SAFE!! As safe as anything else anyway. I was on it for weeks, 150mg as above. Try seeing an infant feeding advisor as opposed to a gp, if thats how they are treating you. My advisor was ablet o get me proper treatment and just had to get a doc in the hospital to sign the script.

Thrush is really hard to get rid of, and will hang about without proper medication. However if you really don't get anywhere get your hands on grapefruit seed extract tablets and they should help. ((hug)) don't give up, you are doing really well, let us know how you get on xx
  • Sorry, yes, fluconazole, had a very broken night so half asleep when I posted this! I'm going to go for it, I agree that it wouldn't be recommended by everyone in the bf know if it was unsafe, the doctor just scared me, told me he'd never prescribed this in 20 years and saying how toxic and unlicensed it is. I just needed some reassurance from people who'd had it. It's like feeding through broken glass at the mo so I'm going to get myself down the docs & stand my ground so we can all have a nice, painfree christmas dinner!! Thanks for all your advice & help.