Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice please.x

Hi ladies, just after some advice.

With my ds i breastfed till he was about 6months old, did mix feeding as he always seemed to be hungary. Anyway it went well and i plan on feeding this one the same. I remember with ds the first few days where the worst until the milk started coming through.

The midwife mentioned to me the other day I should try get my milk flowing before baby comes? I thought the colostrum (sp) was the most important bit? if i get milk going first this will have already gone by the time baby starts feeding?? im confused! lol xx

formally *nic* !!

Replies

• Yes I would be confused too, the baby will bring your milk in by suckling and it naturally just takes a few days, your baby will get everything it needs from you until your milk comes in. I must admit I checked whether I was producing enything with a few gentle pinches before baby came along but other than that I wouldn't do anything else.

With my first baby I was duped into giving my son a top up (well they topped him up) they asked if his blood sugars were low could they top him up with formula? I said ok and when she came back she said his blood sugars were fine but she topped him up anyway!!! I wasn't happy but my sister was fuming, with her little girl she just told them to get lost and she put the baby to breast whenever she cried until her milk came in, and the baby was going mad for a couple of days but when her milk came in she was fine.
  • Weird, have never heard this before (have just completed peer support training) but agree with 30 something, don't stress about it and feed baby as often as s/he wants it, and your supply should keep up, if not there is loads of things that can help, that don't involve this, and tbh I don't think your milk would come in until the baby is born anyway as if you bf when pg you produce colostrum from about 20 weeks until the baby is born anyway. Good luck xx
  • Weird, have never heard this before (have just completed peer support training) but agree with 30 something, don't stress about it and feed baby as often as s/he wants it, and your supply should keep up, if not there is loads of things that can help, that don't involve this, and tbh I don't think your milk would come in until the baby is born anyway as if you bf when pg you produce colostrum from about 20 weeks until the baby is born anyway. Good luck xx
  • thank you ladies.x Yep think ill just wait till babys here then and let her get my milk going. I didnt think wot midwife was saying made much sense! xx