Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

which is the best?????

hi ladies hope you can give me some advice i am hoping to breastfeed baby when he comes along and hope to be able to express once a day pretty much from the start mainly so oh can give him a feed whilst i sleep we plan to do it using a cup so that he doesnt get confused and hope to get him used to it so that when i have surgery in march i canexpress for hubby to cup feed at home

i have found 2 breastpumps at very good price and there is not much between them and both get mixed reviews

medela mini electric breast pump and Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump

so ladies which would you advise

Replies

• I bought the TT one then read awful product reviews online and promptly took it back! If you type the name of the product and reviews into google you'll get reviews on both products. The medela gets super reviews. I bought the avent electric pump when it was half price, ??45 instead of ??90 in john lewis and it's great. Yo can change it to a manual pump or when using it as an electric pump you can plug it into the wall or use it with battery pack which I found very handy. Also, I like you was worried about nipple confusion if I gave my lo a bottle, however in the hospital she was taken to the nursery and put on a drip. She was given a bottle then as she wasn't latching on properly. It didn't affect her ability to bf and 12 weeks later we are still going strong with the bfing. Plus, it means anyone can feed her some ebm and it's nowhere near as messy or difficult as a cup.
  • I have the Tommee Tippee closer to nature and it is ok, but I lost one of the valves, and the clip that attaches the tube to the unit broke. It also sounds like a cow mooing when it is on. I used it every day for about 6 weeks to build my freezer stock up and it coped well with that. However, I've never used my stock up so don't think I'd go to the bother of expressing so much next time.
  • I have the medela mini electric, its very efficient however it is very very noisy - if that doesnt bother you then i would say its a good choice.
  • I have the TTCTN (manual) and managed to express from about week 2 and have expressed 1 feed a day since the second week i also fed Oscar out of a bottle also TTCTN and he has had no problems feeding from either me or the bottle.

Good Luck x

gems&Oscar 6weeks6days x
  • thanks for the advice i decided on the medela due to it being smaller and the better reviews got one for ??30 so feels a bit like a bargain just a bit concerned about the noise when i have my surgery i will be in a few days hopefully they have a private room i can use it in as dont think i would be brave enough to sit in my bed and use it

misscarolyn i thought about using bottles as i guessed 1 feed a day wouldnt confuse him but when i am in hospital a few days i will only be able to breastfeed a few times and worry that he may then get confused having more bottles then breast a day is that the case do you think?

a-nonny-mouse i have to say the thought of expressing and it making a mooing noise certainly brightened my day havent laughed so much in a long time :lol:
  • me and hubby think it sounds more like the noise the big alien machines make in the war of the worlds remake with tom cruise. hubs takes this piss making the noise whenever I'm about to pump!
  • got the tt ctn bottles as have used them before so think will probably use them rather than cup

gemgems never watched that film so had to google trailer i think if pump made that noise my oh would constantly take the mick he was laughing his head off when i told him that was the sound it makes :lol:
  • I use a medela mini and it is very noisy although i have no problem but a friend of mine found it stopped her let down and couldn't use it.

I would (and do) given expressed milk from a bottle i use TT closer to nature with no problem from a week or two old.

The only other thing is when i was doing my breast feeding councilor course i was told the night feeds are the most important for keeping your milk supply. As going 6-7 hour a night with out feeding can really decreased you milk supply.

• I had the closer to nature one for my DS and didn't like it much, my friend found her medula one really good. Just wanted to add I gave my little man bottles of expressed milk from a few days old and he never got confused or had any issues latching on so you may not have problems.
  • I have only just started expressing (last 2 days), but we have the ttctn bottles and the medela swing pump. I read lots of reviews of different electric pumps (i tried the tt manual pump but could only get 10ml out per time), and decided to go for the medela straight away rather than trying something a bit cheaper and not being happy with it. The medela to me seems great. I have been expressing in the morning, and using the expressed milk overnight (although I have been expressing in the night when bottle feeding Oscar as I find my boobs get really full and sore and leak everywhere and it seems like such a waste of milk to have it leaking into my breast pads). It took Oscar a little while to get the hang of sucking on a bottle - he tended to lick the end!, but he took to it really quickly and seems to have no problems switching between breast and bottle.
  • Hi not read the other comments but i've had the TT breastpump. I thought it was brilliant when i first got it after struggling with ahand pump then a while after it stopped working and was just not sucking anything from my breast. Whilst waiting for the medela i then ordered to be delivered, i expressed by hand and was amazed by how much more milk i got than with the pump. When my TT was working i got 2-3 ounces at each attempt but hand expressing i can get up to 5 each breast. Its fiddly and takes a bit longer but once you get the technique it works very well

just my thoughts

Liz