Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

7 months today :)

Just wanted to share our story in the hopes that it helps someone out there, I've managed to feed lo for 7 months, a month more than my initial target and we are not planning on stopping yet.

I was really excited about bf and didn't really have a clue about the realities of it. When lo was born the hospital was really busy so we didn't really have help with the initial latch image and so started 3 days of me being unable to get him to latch and having to call mw every time he needed fed. I was bullied by some mw and supported by others, and helped amazingly by my dh who talked me through positioning and attachment day after day and night after night.

After only successfully latching him twice I left hospital on day 3 and although sometimes it would take 20 minutes, managed to get him attaching and drinking. My nipples were badly cracked and each feed was a challenge but we kept going. Then lo and behold I contracted mastitis in both breasts. Luckily I had read these forums and recognised the symptoms so was able to phone the doctor and get antibiotics.

However said antibiotics allowed a yeast infection to take hold and I ended up suffering horribly from nipple and ductal thrush but got prescribed the wrong medication and had a slight allergic reaction to it. Luckily I had an appointment with an advisor the next day and she sorted my medication but unluckily I took a severe reaction to daktarin and burn my already cracked nipples :cry:

On seeing my gp about this, he told me to think about formula as I was a mess because the reaction had given me such a fright. Latching was still difficult, feeding was painful and I thought I was ruining by poor baby's first weeks of life. Luckily I had a terrific support network of my husband, my siblings,my mum and dad, friends and the feeding advisers.

Just as things would look up I contracted mastitis again. And again. And again. And again. The last time I caught it early and saw an out of hours doctor who told me to give up. This upset me after all we had been through so first thing on the monday morning I phoned my advisor in tears and she said I didn't have to stop, so stubborn as ever I kept going. Eventually I was given different antiobiotics and began taking soya lecithin and I've been mastitis free since September image

Then came the damned 'green poo' episode! Luckily that didn't last long unlike the thrush, which was mega difficult to get rid of and my boobs would have what felt like contractions in them after every feed, and my poor shredded nipple would not heal. But down to some great advice and grapefruit seed extract tablets I conquered that too.

However at about 16 weeks it all changed and feeding became what I though it would be, a great bonding experience, easy and portable, and great nutrition for my baby.

Some of you may think I'm mad, some of you might think I was selfish, and there were times I stood in the kitchen with my hand over the formula tub but I'm glad I persevered. I do believe if I hadn't I would have succumbed to pnd, I look back and those first few weeks are like a blur, but my son is a happy, bright, beautiful little boy who certainly doesn't appear to have suffered at all. I am now a trained peer supported and I hope I can help other people through the difficult journey that may face them. Obviously I went through a lot and I think my story is somewhat exceptional (not all of it but parts of it) and I would not want someone to read this and be put off, rather I would like to inspire someone who is struggling with the pain and tiredness of a 3.30am feed.

A huge thank you to all on here who helped me when I nipped on for advice, it always helpedimage

Replies

• Well done you for overcoming so much x
  • Yay, well done you!! You've done so well getting through all the problems that you should feel realy proud of yourself. Hope you enjoy being a peer supporter, my friends keep mentioning it to me and I know how useful our local ones have been when I struggled.

We hear so many stories of people giving up that it's great when someone feels confident enough to come on a post a success story image
  • I don't think you're mad Jellytots, I think you're brilliant - I was already aware of parts of your story, it reminded me a bit of my experience breastfeeding my son, although my thrush responded to treatment, and I only had mastitis twice! - so I really admire you for battling through so much, you're one of my breastfeeding heroes (although I have to say Colligreen, so are you!) I hope reading your story helps someone who is struggling now to see the light at the end of the tunnel - once you get through the problems it's fab isn't it.

Well done
  • Well done you, I can remember your posts from the begining of your journey, and I'm glad you perservered xx
  • Well done hun! Putting yourself through all of this to give the best to your baby, that's a real proof of love to your little one! xxx
  • You already know I think you're amazing but reading that has brought a tear to my eye. Love you xxx
  • You're an inspiration - well done!
  • Aaaaahhhh - Well Done!!!!

What an inspiring post! I have exclusively breastfed for 5 months and it is the most rewarding and thing I have ever done, the bond that forms between the two of you is like nothing else.

I've been lucky in that I have not exprerienced the physical problems you have, but I've had a lot of negative reactions to BF from other people, mainly my in laws as non of them have ever even tried BF and think formula is the way to go. Baby is more contented, sleeps through the night, blah, blah, blah. Everytime DS was grumpy or cried it was because I was starving him etc. In the begining this really got to me and constantly made me question if I was doing the right thing.

My DS was a big baby (just under 10lbs) even some midwifes told me I would have to top up with formula. I have not once had to give my baby formula and although his weight gain slowed down he is a healthy happy baby.

I'm so glad I kept going, I feel so proud of myself.

Just wanted to share my different success story.

xx image
  • What a lovely, lovely post, this brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you Jellytots for posting this, I hope any new mums who may be finding breastfeeding tough read this and find the inspiration to keep going as you did.

We've just got past six months and are still going strong. I know that we are lucky as our bf journey has been relatively smooth compared to so many others who've had a hard time but it's still great to get this far, and I don't want to stop anytime yet!

And you are not mad and certainly are not selfish, completely selfless actually.

You will make a wonderful peer supporter, good for you hon, you should be extremely proud of yourself!

xxx
  • How did I miss this?!?

JT you are one amazing mummy, and you've showed such strength and determination to bf ds through everything thrown at you (and stuck two fingers up to those old fuddy duddy docs who told you to quit). You were my inspiration not to quit in those horrible early weeks and months so thank you. I'll always be a teeny weeny bit jealous that we couldn't carry on for as long as you guys.

The peer supporters are v lucky to have you join them x