Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Won't take bottle

My LO (11 weeks) totally refuses to drink from a bottle. It's probably my fault as I expressed a few times a week for a while then found it too time consuming and gave up for several weeks. I am now a bit worried though as with my first child my supply decreased quite rapidly after 6 months when he started on solids and cut down on breast-feeds and at that stage I decided to put him onto bottles. I was hoping to do the same this time at 6 months but don't know how to re-introduce a bottle. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Options
    I cant really help but i would be very interested in the responses.I have exactly the same problem and my lo is now 23 weeks and is still BF.Ive posted similar to you but i suppose there isnt really an answer unless your strong enough to stop the breast altogether. I combine fed at the beginning and she made her own mind up so i went with the flow.I would like to stop for various reasons but she isnt having any of it!!!I now keep trying her with the sippy cup.
  • Options
    Any one have any suggestions? I'm a bit worried about going straight to cups as surely he won't be getting enough milk compared to a bottle? Thanks
  • Options
    We had the same problem. DD took expressed milk fine the first few weeks, then I didn't do it for a while and she refused point blank. Although it didn't work for us, some people find trying different bottles helped. We tried TT, Mam, Nuk, Breastflow and Medela with no success.

When DD got to six months, I started giving her some formula in a cup, and she would take about 3oz. One day I was making it up in the bottle and she reached for it, so I gave it to her and she drained the lot. We haven't looked back, she now takes 2 bottles a day whilst I'm at work and I BF morning and evening.

I guess that's not all that helpful give your LO is only 11 weeks, but I guess perseverance is the key.