Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Milk supply

My LO is 14 weeks and from day one breastfeeding has gone well. She is EBF and the only problem we've had was mastitis in the early days but other than that feeding has been fine. The last couple of weeks though I've noticed that I never feel as full as I used to and if LO goes a bit longer between a feed I'm still not really full like I used to be - the minute I took my bra of for the first couple of months I'd leak milk everywhere!! My boobs feel quite soft most of the time where they used to be really hard before a feed. I know that the milk supply does regulate depending on demand but I've started to worry that I'm not making enough. LO has started doing much shorter feeds and I worry that it's because there's not as much milk as there used to be.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could increase my milk supply - or is this normal? Any help would be great.

xx

Replies

• Hey hun,

I'm a breastfeeding peer supporter so hope I can help!

You're right about the milk regulation thing - I remember when my lil one was about 10 weeks old and my boobs felt a lot softer, even when she was due a feed.

When you say EBF do you mean expressed breastmilk?

If you want to increase your milk flow you could try expressing milk regularly (i used to do this and store it in the freezer). Are you expressing milk at the moment?

And as long as your LO is having plenty of wet nappies and is gaining weight nicely you should have nothing to worry about!

Hope this helps xxx
  • Hello luvvie,

Teddy is 14 weeks too and you're explaining exactly the same feelings as I'm getting re less full breasts, shorter feeds etc. i'm sure it's just our Lo's have finally learnt how to feed in a shorter quicker time span, but i felt the same as you - that he wasn't getting as much milk. He does seem to feeding more often but i've put that down to another growth spurt.

i've been expressing since day 1 and after 3-4 weeks was easily expressing 4-5oz but now when i express i can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 oz, altho i'm finding it harder to find the time in the mornings to express at the mo so that might have something to do with it.

Moo x
  • I've had the same worry recently. My LO is 12 weeks and I've noticed my boobs aren't as full lately. I had a problem expressing last week, usually get 4-5 oz easily first thing but was struggling to get even half that. I wasn't very well tho, so think that may have affected it. Got more the usual amount yesterday but I've really been worrying I'm not producing enough.

She's feeding less now and for shorter periods of time which my hv said would happen but it still worries me. She's putting on weight well so I'm sure she's getting enough. She'd let me know if not!

How often are you feeding your LO? Xx