Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Crying at the breast

After having an improvement with her feeding, everything seems to have gone abit wrong over the last couple of days. LO will still take to the breast but after about 5 minutes will come off, if i try to put her back on she will scream and cry, but i dont think he can be getting enough after such a short time, we also had a step back last night as she woke for a feed at 3am and normally she goes through tp 5.30. At 3.30 she was ravenous and was gulping milk but still dint stay on for more than 5 minutes.

She has really taken to sucking on her hand and we had to use a dummy to settle her, she is also very dribbly, but at 10 weeks its surely to young for teething.

She doesnt cry from hunger after a short feed in fact we have just spent 30 minutes on the play mat, anyone got any ideas how i can encourage her to stay on the boob for longer or any experience of short feeding?

Replies

• Hi hun

it is possible for babies to start teething that early, eventhough they might not get any teeth actually showing for ages, because the teeth descending in the gums is uncomfortable too.

my DD is teething atm and cries too and wont feed for very long if its sore. She also cried feeding when i had thrush. Do you have any other symptoms?

As long as she's attempting to feed and is taking some (which she is because as you said you can hear her gulping) i'd try not to worry too much but i know thats easy to say.

Try making an appointment with your health visitor and mention that you think LO might be teething they can usually give you advice on what to try. i just checked and the teething gel we have is suitable from 2 months so there are some things you can try.

Also if your worried about her feeding you can take your baby to get weighed even if it isn't technically the right week or whatever. Knowing she's not losing weight might help your piece of mind, i know it helps me because i can be fairly neurotic about feeding

Hope this helps

Liz
  • God this sounds just like my LO at the moment - he's 18 weeks and has been like this for about 3 weeks - its very frustrating! No idea what's causing it or how to make feeding less stressful for him!
  • Thanks lizandyumi, we have had a slight improvement, whatever was aggravating her has lessened as she isnt knawing at her hand and dribbling quite as much. I have tried to persevere through the crying and eventually she will latch back on and even though it is a half hearted attempt she is getting a bit more.

We have a HV vistit due soon so will mention it then xx
  • My lo started doing this a few weeks ago (she's 13 just now). I was so worried she wasn't getting enough as she was only taking 8 mins to feed, 4 mins per side. She always was fairly quick and fed within about 12 mins. However, my hv told me she has gotten an efficient feeder and doesnt need to feed for as long as she drains the breast in no time.