Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Possible blocked duct

I have been ebf my little one since she was born, she's 21 wks.

Last night after I had put my lo down to bed I realised that the breast she had fed from still felt a bit full (and lumpy) which was unusual- she'd fed for almost an hour.

It also started to feel a bit sore. I sat and expressed for over an hour, massaged it and used a hot water bottle against it and it didn't really ease. Expressing didn't get even an ounce. During the night I put lo to that breast and again this morning but it still feels lumpy. It doesn't seem red at all and doesn't seem any hotter than the rest of me.

Does anyone have any tips to ease this, or if it even is a blocked duct? I will continue to put lo to that breast. Other advice online mentions a white blister that you can pop to relieve but I don't have a blister.

Thanks

Replies

• Hi! I am a breast feeding peer counsellor so done some training on this, plus fed my girl till she was 3. Does sound like a blocked milk duct. Sometimes it only gets red and hot and you feel unwell when the blocked milk duct becomes infected which tends to happen if you can't get it unblocked. I had this once and it lasted 48 hours. Best advice is keep feeding with that side, warm flannels, expressing in between feeds even if you get nothing, but best thing is to feed on that side in different positions as that may be what is needed to unblock. Feed your normal way, trying sitting baby up and feeding in upright position with baby sat on your knee, lying down and the rugby ball, baby under your arm and body round your back. Different positions mean you get to drain all the different ducts. If it gets worse, hot, really sore or you get ill see your doctor as you can get an infection. Good luck x
  • Thanks for your reply Gail1977, I've continued to feed on that side throughout the day and tried feeding with baby's body round my back,massaged throughout the day and expressed tonight, but no joy, lumps are still there. I'll try some other feeding positions tomorrow.

I'm so annoyed because I've come so far with no problems breastfeeding, fingers crossed it doesn't get infected!

Off to get a warm flannel...