Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

mamascarf

After 3 weeks of unsucessful attempts at bottle feeding EBM i have come to the conclusion that i will just have to suck it in and bf in public.

I am tempted to buy a mamascarf but wondered if anyone had any reviews - there are some on mumsnet but they sound like they have been written by the makers of the product!!

I am thinking that combined with a breast vest should hopefully give me the confidence. Also what type of tops do you wear, i have 2 BF tops from H&M and tbh i find them a bit of a nightmare.

Any thoughts on the mamascarf or other top tips greatfully received!

Replies

• Hi hun,

I'm sorry your still having problems with the bottle, my lo still wont take it either. I wouldnt be worried apart from the fact that i need to leave her in the daytime for a couple of days in march so really need her to do something but anyway,

I dont have a mamascarf or a breastvest, what i bought was a few of those lycra vests that m&s sell, they are ??7 for 2. I wear them under everything i wear then i put what ever im wearing on top, then if i need to feed in public i pull 1 top up and i pull the lycra vest down with my bra if you know what i mean, it means that my tummy is still covered and i show minimum amount of breast, i also carry a pashmina which i drape over me just to make myself feel a little less on show and i know what you mean about bf tops i find them very fussy. Ive been wearing alot of kinda loose tops with the elastic round the bottom, i find them good for manouvering and also they hide my mum tum just now. hope this helps a bit.xxx
  • Hi Angel, It's a nightmare isnt it, i am going to speak to my HV about it to see if she has any top tips - thankfully my HV is fab. We really have tried so many things 3 types of bottle, formula, defrosted EBM and EBM which has just been expressed, OH feeding, me feeding - nothing seems to work and LO just ends up giving me the most hearbreaking look through the tears. I really dont want to give up trying though because the more time goes on the more she will get set in her ways - is it even possible that she has now made a negative association with the bottle?

I will go with the recommendation for those tops from m&s, much cheaper than a breast vest, i dont know how i would get on with a pashmina, i really struggle when i use a small blanket round at my mums (to save my dads embarassment), i worry that it will fall down when i'm manouvering whilst out in public!

Hopefully we will get there in the end, if i get any sucesses with the bottle in the meantime i will let you know xxx
  • I use breast vest with normal tops. if you want to use pashminas you can get your choice of colours 2 for ??4 on ebay. But I'd say practice at home as I found it a bit fiddly and it kept falling off my shoulder. What I found easier was wearing a biggish cardigan. You can undo bra etc all under there, then just open it a little and tuck little ones head in there. TBH I sort of stopped caring! I feed anywhere now.

What got me over it was a weekend away. LO had been asleep in pram for ages, and we'd seen signs for a nursing room in the shopping centre, so thought we'd just go there when he woke. But he woke and I went there and it was a filthy cupboard inside the ladies loos. It was disgusting there was no way I wanted to take my baby in there, let alone feed him! By this point he was starving, my boob was giant and I was just desperate to feed him. Ended up in middle of starbucks right next to queue as there was no other seat. Then fed him in a pub later that day. It got me over my fear. My advice would probably be just go out and do it! Now I don't bother finding feeding rooms when I'm out, just feed wherever. Makes going out less stressful