Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning toddler from breast

Hi,

I am still BF my DD (nearly 17 months) twice a day, morning and night. I am planning on stopping at around 18 months and just wondered if anyone has been through it and has any advice?

I'm pretty sure stopping the morning feed will be fine - I plan to get straight up with her rather than bring her into our bed and I don't think she will ask for it. I will offer her a beaker of cows milk instead.

Bedtime I think will be really hard. Although I got her to stop falling asleep on the boob at bedtime at 7 months she started again after she turned 1 when we had lots of sleeping probs. Now she doesn't always use it to fall asleep but it is a major part of going to bed, and she rarely falls asleep in her bed, usually on me.

Before I stop BF I plan to get her falling asleep in her bed again but I'm not sure how to go about introducing a bedtime routine that doesn't involve booby at all!

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• Do you have anyone who can take over the bedtime routine for you until your milk goes and she gets used to it? If someone could help and set a new routine, say, bath, story, fresh milk and bed she may surprise you. It will be hard if you try to do it though as she knows you have milk. If you aren't there she can't have it. I don't have any useful help though if you don't have this and you have to do it yourself. I let my daughter come off herself as like you, I didn't know what to do or how to do it. It took till she was 3, so if you have someone to help that may be your easiest way
  • I don't have any great advice I'm afraid - I am thinking the same thoughts about weaning my 12month old and not really knowing how. Just wanted to say though that am sure it can be done. I was amazed today when I managed (but only out of necessity) to put lil one down on the floor for a nap. She only EVER naps on me after a feed and refused to go down in her own bed for naps at around 7 months so I don't bother trying any more. I think sometimes I imagine she can't do something but forget to keep trying. So am sure you'll get there if you make a plan and stick to it. Good luck and come back and post on your progress I would be really interested to know how it goes! (Sorry for the rambly message!)

Rxxx