Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Hope did you cope!!!!

Sorry that is a bit dramatic but my lo has just turned 16weeks and i assume is having her 4 month growth spurt, it has been 2 days of constant feeding, every 1-2 hours even through the night. I am so hungry that i even got fed up eating yesterday. How long does it usually last, we are away tomorrow and im dreading a car journey with a constantly hungry baby. I am soooo enjoying breastfeeding but this has to be the hardest so far, i thought the 12week spurt was bad, it was nothing compared to this,lol.xxx

Replies

• Hi hun my DD is 23 weeks today and still totally breastfed, so ive been where you are. It really does get better, i know everyone says that and it probably makes you want to scream hearing it again, but its worth keeping in mind. Growth spurts can last up to a week but usually if LO is feeding so constantly they're shorter. You've done really well to get this far, so be proud. Keep yourself hydrated, even if you cant be bothered eating because hydration makes a BIG difference to your milk supply. I dont know if your working or have other LOs but rest when you can ( i fed LO in bed during the first couple of growth spurts) and enjoy the extra cuddles image i dont know if my email link is activated on here (i'll sort it out if its not) but you can contact me if you ever want some advice or just want a moan ( we all need one sometimes). its gone pretty quiet on here on the BF'ing front. Keep your chin up and focus on all the good your doing. Your little one is growing all because of yummy milk the time and effort a her mummy chose to give to her image

HTH

Liz
  • I agree with lizandyumi!I breastfed my daughter till she was 3, which is a long time but she never seemed to want to give up and gave up when the time was right for her. She had a few growth spurts during the first year or so and I was in your position too. it is hard work but as long as you drink plenty you will keep a good milk supply. Try feeding just before you leave on your long journey and even if you have to stop every couple hours it means you get a break and a chance to eat too. Mind you the car movement may mean she falls asleep a bit more. Growth spurts shouldn't last more than a week and rest when you can. See it as a chance to put your feet up and have a snack yourself. Fill little dishes with carrot sticks, tomatoes, grapes etc and grab a tub everytime you sit and feed. Means you get something nutritious too. You are doing a grand job, stick with it! xxx
  • Thank you girls for your replies, she was still feeding every 2 hours last night but seems a bit better this morning so here's hoping. im hoping the car journey will help her sleep and also let me catch up on a little nap,lol. i have a lo at 4 so dont get much chance to rest during the day.

Thank you liz for your offer of email, you may regret saying that,lol.xxx