Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Difficulties feeding newborn at night

Hi ladies,

My lo is 10 days old and we are gradually getting to grips with breastfeeding, and during the day have been doing quite well. However, she rarely wakes up during the night for a feed, so when I wake her after 3 hours her feed is taking about an hour and a half, leaving us exhausted.

It takes about 30 mins to get her awake enough to feed properly, then another 40ish minutes to actually eat, as she still tends to graze, by then she's wide awake and it takes us another 30-40 mins to get her back to sleep again. I'm also not convinced, after all that, that she's actually getting enough milk.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Elf

Replies

• Hi,

First of all, congratulations on becoming a mummy!

My theory on night feeds was only feed when she was awake and wanted a feed. I know they all tell you that you MUST feed every 3 hours but I figured if she was hungry she would wake and let me know! You may be lucky and have a good night sleeper who doesn't need much at night?!

Re your worry about enough milk - the usual advice is getting 6-8 wet nappies a day and generally being happy between feeds, as well as putting on weight. I'm currently feeding my 2nd, who was taking her feeds in less than 10 minutes at that age and still putting on loads of weight, so you can't really tell from how long they're feeding for.

Well done for perservering with BF, one day it all clicks into place and it becomes enjoyable. I love it now!!

Corinna x
  • Hi Elf...not sure if any use to you, but I'd agree with Corinna and would only feed when baby wakes, rather than purposefully waking her. Our Mia happens to wake every 3 hours during the night, but if she sleeps longer (very odd occasion!) then I leave her to sleep on the premise that she will wake if she's hungry.

Also the same as Corinna, Mia only feeds for a maximum of 15 minutes and no encouragement on this earth will persuade her either to feed for longer or to take a second sitting, but is putting on more than 1oz each day. However, I do have a concern that she is only getting the foremilk and so not getting the nutrients she needs, only the fat which is what the weight is.

Hope this helps...just don't feel guilty if you leave her to sleep...I'd be over the moon if our Mia gave us more than 3 hours kip at a stretch!!

Take care xx
  • Thanks ladies, we had a much better night last night and Esme did wake herself at about 3/3.5 hrs which meant it was much easier to then get her back to sleep after her feed. She also seems much more awake this morning, as is mummy!

We are seeing the HV on wednesdays, hopefully she is gaining weight, which will make me feel a bit more confident to leave her to sleep.

Thanks for the advice, it really did help to reassure me in those desperate hours!

Elf
  • Hi Hun only just saw this post but couldn't just read and run! I agree with both ladies, she's obviously contented enough to stay asleep so there is no need to wake her. Ur obviously feeding her well or she wouldn't do this. Remember breastfeeing is demand fed, if she's not demanding it then there is no need! If she's hungry she will wake!! Also just wanna say what a fantastic job you are doing image well done!! Ur obviously a fab mummy!! All the best xxx
  • Thanks Jojo - she had put on 8oz when we saw the health visitor on wednesday, so back to her birth weight and more, so I'm much more confident she is getting what she needs.

However, we have a new problem now, in that she is resisting going to sleep at all at night - no idea why she sleeps in her moses basket and rocker quite happily all day, but wakes up within in 5 mins of being put down at night - oh the joys of newborns!