Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

how long to feed....

hello....just wanted a bit of advice really about how long my newborn should be feeding on the breast for? I've been discussing wind/colic/reflux with the gang over in BIJ, and a friend on there advised that as my Mia is only feeding for about 15 minutes at a time, every 3 hours, then she is probably only getting the foremilk, rather than any of the important hindmilk. Does this mean that she isn't getting the nutrition she needs? She is 4 weeks old now, and has fed in this pattern since birth, has excellent weight gain, but a definite wind problem! image

I know that some babies can feed for anything up to an hour, but this has not been the case for us. But I am concerned that she's not getting all she needs from me, especially considering I am a lousy eater myself and tend to have just a bit of toast in the morning, and then just one meal the rest of the day...

How do I encourage her to feed for longer? I've tried giving her one breast, then changing her and then offering her the other, but she tends to either not want it at all or simply wants to mess about and have a comfort-suckle. And god help me if I try and encourage her off the breast before she is ready...you'd think I was murdering her! image

Any advice would be appreciated x

Replies

• All babies are different if she is happy and gaining weight. She is just a efficient feeder image and you should be really happyimage

All i would say is if you do change her and offer some more try to put her back on the same breast as she will then get more hind milk. But she IS getting enough fore AND hind milk if she is content.

• thanks Michelle....she is a very content and placid baby and I figured she'd be staying on the breast to feed if she wasn't getting enough. And you're right in that I feel very lucky she feeds so efficiently as it means my broken nights are not marathons and I'm not tied down in the days for too long, either... image

thank you x
  • Hey hun. and fellow BIJ mum image

I agree with the other ladies, Mia is gaining, is content and getting plenty of dirty (and yellow) nappies then chances are she's getting exactly what she needs. Imogen sometimes will only feed for 15 mins and she's a little chunk. All three of my kiddies have fed differently.

If you are worried though do speak to your HV, but please don't stress yourself out.
  • thanks peeps....Mia's nappies are certainly of the orange/yellow fluid variety so I guess she's doing okay. Thanks all image
  • How does ur boob feel afta she's fed? If it feels "empty" then it's just because she's an efficient feeder!! Do you hav a good let down? ie does ur milk flow fast if she comes off the breast mid feed? If so this could be a factor. Also would explain wind problem! She's gulping the milk back and prob catching some air as she does it. This is what happened with me and ds! After a while I could hear when he had swallowed air along with milk, so I'd take him off wind him and pop him bk on easier than having alot more milk follow it down. She's obviously getting enough as u say she's very contented and sleeping. Ur doing a fab job! Babies are all different that's all. Well done you!!!! Xxxx
  • hi jojo....yes, the boob definitely 'deflates' considerably after she's fed, and if she comes off mid-feed, the poor child gets a face-full of high-pressured milk fired at her!! I guess it flows pretty quick for her, and she struggles to keep up sometimes :lol:

With all the advice on here, I'm not concerned about her any more, and realise she's simply a guzzler with no time to waste on feeding...wants to get back to her playing! Seems the 2 of us match up quite well!

thank you xx