Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Redy for hungry baby?

Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions on my 4 month old babies feeding habits.

He has 6 - 7 oz, every 2.5 hours during the day. This equals to 6 bottles in 24hrs and 1 where he only had around 3-5oz at night.

My MIL was suggesting that I should think about hungry baby as she thinks he is feeding too often for his age, and that it will keep him going longer before starting to wean.

I hadn't realised that there was anything wrong with his feeding pattern although most mornings he only goes 2 hours, which I suppose means he's rather hungry!

It would make life easier if he went longer between bottles - but is this really anything to worry about?

He is putting weight on well and seems fine in himself.

Replies

• Options
    i think if you are happy and hes gaining weight then stay as you are. I put both mine on hungry baby early as they never seemed satisfied on premium and it did seem to do the trick but my youngest boy got very constipated on it, so it does have its drawbacks. I am going to try not to give it to my new daughter if i can help it x
  • Options
    I started my DS on hungry baby at about 14weeks for exactly this reason and after a short while i was able to get him feeding 4hrly which did make life much easier i.e going out etc. I have also only just started weaning him at 6months so i also think the hungry baby milk helped us reach this goal.

Each baby is different and you have to feel happy with your decision. It can make them constipated and some have said their LO's were more sicky but i didn't have these problems. I integrated it slowly by giving him some scoops stage 1 milk and some hungry baby in a bottle e.g in a 6oz bottle 4oz stage 1 and 2 hungry baby upping the amount of hungry baby over a few days before totally transitioning to all hungry baby and that seemed to work well

There's nothing wrong with frequent feeding and if you and your LO are coping ok then i would just see how it goes but it could be something to consider.

HTH

• Options
    we started on hungry baby early on as he just wasnt satisfied but for us it did not extend the feeds he still fed reglarly, are the bottles being totally finished, maybe worth offering an extra OZ if the are always drained

just wanted to add you are advised not to mix different formulas so if you are going to make the switch it is advised to change altogether as it can irritate babies tum mixing feeds x