Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breastfeeding while pregnant

Im 5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby and im still breastfeeding my 8month old. Has anyone BF while pregnant? Is there anything i should particularly do or not do??

Im a bit worried that i wont bve able to get my baby off the boob before this next one comes along, shes a real breast junkie, does anyone have any suggestions on how i could maybe slowly decrease feeds? Im planning on BF until shes 1 then she can have cows milk as she hardly takes a bottle. So hopefully i can get down to am and pm feeds until shes 1 then drop them.

But incase i cant... Has anyone fed an older baby and a newborn? X

Replies

• Options
    I have never fed two together but am a feeding counsellor so have come across this. You may find she stops herself as the milk can change taste due to the hormones anyway and taste more bitter. If not, you may have to find ways of distracting her through the day to cut out feeds to reduce them. If you know she is tired through the day and wants to use you to fall asleep you may have to try a different tactic, like pushing her pram to get her to sleep or taking a drive. Or ask someone else to help get her to sleep. Is there anyone around who can take her a bit, or help with the bedtime routine? When I used to put my daughter to bed I couldn't not feed her as she'd go mad but if my husband put her down and she knew I wasn't there she would go to sleep.

Some people feed two babies together and manage. You would have to be consistent with this though to try to cut down feeds.

You don't have to stop unless you actually want too. There are ways to feed two but it will be harder work for you. If you do want to stop though try what I have said, or ask your health visitor for some advice or if they can refer you to a breast feeding counsellor in your area.

Saying all this you are only a few weeks and you may find as she gets older she may reduce herself as she starts crawling and walking and eating more solids. At the moment she is very dependent on you but once she's exploring, stopping to feed may bore her!

As for what you should be doing whilst pregnant and feeding is to eat a well balanced diet and increase your fluids. Every pregnant woman should eat more healthy as your nutrition needs increase for your new baby but as you are breastfeeding you are also using a lot of calories to make breast milk. I think you need to speak to your midwife to see how may moire calories you need as you will need more than the average pregnant woman.

Good luck with it all! image
  • Options
    I echo that. Also a breastfeeding peer supporter. Apparently if u are feeding 2 then somehow your body knows who you are feeding and only releases the milk made for that child! Not sure how true this is but it's what I was told! Carry on feeding as long as u feel comfortable. As long as your daughter is getting a good mixed diet it should b fine to reduce her feeds to just morning and night feeds. My ds was the same would not take a bottle of anything expressed or formula, in the end I started working evenings and oh had to giv him bottle b4 bed within a couple of days he took to it as he realised I wasn't there to giv him boobie so may as well take this milk!
  • Options
    ive been told toddlers who are bfing while there is a baby get a bit chunky from the higher calorie milk.