Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mastitis advice please

I'm currently recovering from mastitis, (I still love bfing if you've read my previous post!), I have 2 days left of antibiotics and the infection has definately gone, (thank goodness, I was soso ill.), but I still have a lump where it was and although not hot anymore, still feels sore, especially when I try and massage it as I read on here that you need to try and clear the blocked duct as just treating the infection won't be enough. Any advice welcome please. I am feeding as usual on that side and have been throughout.

Replies

• I haven't tried it (it was nearly 4 years ago that I had mastitis and I sort of gave up after that which I still regret now) but I remember reading a few years ago about using a hairbrush to massage your boobs so I googled it in case I had dreamt it and it seems that using a brush with bobbles used towards the nipple can help. When I was looking I noticed that taking lecithin supplements helps with blocked milk ducts too. Good luck and take care image
  • I had masitis bad also, not nice but fab that u persevered!!

Latch lo on with her bottom jaw closest to the lump. The bottom part of the jaw does all of the work and so empties the little "sacs" inside your breast closest to it 1st. Sometimes it doesn't seem practical mayb because the lump is in an awkward place? Try putting lo on the sofa and lean over her dangling boobie into her mouth, added help of gravity, and that way she can be in a totally different position from the usual and so clear the blocked duct. (don't feel like I've explained that v well, let me know if u need a better description!) also massage but do it very gently as it can damage tissue and will also hurt! Think it'll b clear in no time Hun xxx
  • Just wanted to thank you ladies for the advice, am all better now & back on form. I tried the hairbrush thing, (bizarre but whatever works!!), and swivelling lo around a bit on feeds. It's still a little sore to feed but nothing compared to what it was. Fingers crossed that was the last hurdle! image
  • Just a quick one but I got mastitis and the pain did go after a while (was quite gradual) but the lump was there for weeks after. With mastitis the lump is actually inflammation from where the milk has leaked into the breast tissue so don't worry if it doesn't go down straight away x