Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

worried about milk supply!

up until now my milk supply has been really good zac has fed every 3-4 hours and not needed a top up also in 10 days managed to express over 70oz of milk for him to be fed whilst i was in hospital i went in hospital tuesday and he had 2 feeds that morning after my op i leaked everywhere and later on managed to bf zac and on the wed and thursday managed to feed him twice each day and express twice each day plus lots of leakage i came home thursday teatime and he fed for about 3 hours on both boobs (wander if he missed themn) since then it seems i dont have as much milk i let him feed as long as he wants still every 3-4hrs and between half hour and 1 hour on each boob he hasd both boobs for each feed and still seems hungry after sometimes i just have to take him off as i get sore but has been having between 2 and 4oz of formula after

im finding it a bit upsetting will my milk come back enough to satisfy him again or am i on the downward spiral to formula feeds

hope this all makes sense and that there is a simple explanation i do think some is comfort sucking but it cant all be can it?

Replies

• He could be going through a growth spurt. They feed for longer and that's a good thing so your body makes more milk to meet his demands. There is no reason other than supplementing with formula that your milk supply will go down. However every time you feed him formula your body doesnt know it needs to make more milk as it is supply on demand. So next time he has a feed there will be a bit less milk there if he has had formula. However if you can persevere with the longer feeds and not give formula your body will in a couple of days build up the supply he needs. Just keep feeding and if you wish, express. The more milk you feed him and express the more your body will produce. Oh also make sure you are eating plenty and drinking a good amount of fluid as lack of fluid can result in less milk production. Good luck x
  • thanks for that i held off on the formula even though he started a feed at 10pm last night and didnt come off till nearly 3am this morning i found it so hard not to go get him a bottle but i survived just! he slept till 6:30 am and since then has fed for around half hour to an hour every 3-4 hours and had no bottle after so im guessing it may have been a growth spurt? he was getting very frustrated before but found if i stuck him up my top he settled fed for half hour and has been asleep since then only prob is if try to take him out he fusses so havent been able to move yet think he is wanting comfort now

thanks for he advice i was so tempted to give up but just the thought of stopping upset me but just need to stay strong and perservere i guess

kelly x
  • G/Cing sorry. I've heard that fenugreek tea can help increase your milk supply, and it appears to be safe to drink whilst nursing. But as with everything, it may be best to ask your HV (or midwife if you are still under them) first about taking anything. Good luck with everything image xx
  • thanks may speak to my hv about it as im on lots of different medication at moment there is a lot i cant take