Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how to move on from bottles

not sure if this is the right place to post, but would appreciate some advice - 9 months on I still know nothing about babies!!

My twins are 9 months today (7 months corrected age) and on three meals a day when they actually eat, although sometimes they don't want to.

Generally we've just gone to 4 milk feeds in the day, but can be one or two feeds in the night still.

I've started giving them water & juice in TT free flow cup at breakfast, a Doidy cup with water at dinner and tea, mixed success, they seem to prefer Doidy suprisingly, but of course I have to hold that.

Today my DD was sat on the floor with her bottle near her while I fed my DS and she picked it up and put it in her mouth! image She couldn't tip it back to get milk but I was still so amazed. DS is on Avent bottles so I put handles on (not that he ever uses them yet) but DD is on Medela bottles that I used to express into but now on standard neck fast flow teat from Tesco, no handles available for her bottles.

will finally get to the point now... sorry

do babies have their milk from a cup/spouted bottle or are they just for water? (we only use ready to feed milk)

is it mean to take their sucking pleasure away? (neither use a dummy)

I've just ordered soft spouts for DS's Avent bottles, any good ones for me to try DD on?

Gosh I spend so much on bottles etc that we never use, it's stupid, but I'm willing to give most things a go.

I love them being babies and don't want to wish their time away as I'm not going to do this again, but when they can hold the bottle/cup whatever themselves it'll be FAB.

Thanks for suggestions/advice