Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

expressing when in hospital

Following the births of my children i wanted to breast feed but with my first it was difficult to get him to latch on, so the midwife gave me a medicine pot to hand express into first. Has anyone else been offered a small medicine cup to express into?? The pot is really sharp around the edge which is not nice when you already have sore nipples!! it was really fiddly, and then they asked me to feed my baby from the same pot, which was nearly impossible. Anyway, just wondering if it is just me that found this bit painful and fiddly. Or do other areas give you something else to hand express into?

anna xx

Replies

• I expressed into a feeding cup, the little ones with the smooth lip, would that be better? They are bound to have them so worth asking?
  • With my first I expressed cause we couldn't get him to latch on, but I got an electric dual breastpump. We had to share them with everyone else and only the end bits where personal and needed to be sterilised after every use. They did feed ds with a cup though, we switched to a bottle after a few days with expressed milk and were still able to breastfeed after. (just was easier to feed by bottle than by cup)