Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breastfeeding with a 2 year old

i could bf last time ,but want to try again this time. am due in 8 wks. alot of people have told me its time consuming and you can feed for a while at a time. as i have my son to look after im wondering how this will fit in?

Replies

• Options
    I have a 4 year old and my baby is due soon too. My daughter is a bit older so can do more for herself but I am also a feeding counsellor and help run a group and you would be amazed at how many mums feed babies whilst having toddlers. There are pros and cons. The pros I believe outweigh the cons but you have to make the decision that is correct for you and your two children. If you look at the time spent making bottles, cooling bottles, washing, sterilising and packing a bag for your 2 year old and your baby with water, bottles, feed etc there is a lot of work involved. Then you have the added pressure of night feeds, getting up, making bottles and in the mean time perhaps having a crying hungry baby who wakes up your toddler. Breast milk is on demand, easy and no physical work involved. Some babies feed for a while, some for ten minutes. Some feed longer when they have growth spurts, some cluster feed - so feed frequently at certain time of the day. The good thing about breast feeding is you will have arm free. Bottles mean holding baby with one and bottle with the other. Once your new baby gets the hang of latching on on their own you will have a free hand to hold your toddler, get a drink for him, read him a story, help with a puzzle etc. There is also the chance you will be able to express after a few weeks and use a bottle so other people can help you. I think the only way is to try. You may find it easy and love it or hate it. Give it a go and see if its for you. Good luck x
  • Options
    I have a 22 month old and a 3 week old. My ds is very well behaved and plays a lot by himself. However he does try to get my attention and wants me to play with him when I am feeding dd. dd is feeding very long and it takes ages for her to be finished. (up to an hour and a half) and sometimes I do find it irritating that ds needs to wait. However a few weeks into it I am starting to find a pattern. dd is often waking up and starting to make noises before she wants milk, so in that time I do whatever needs to be doing for ds. Also ds is getting extra attention when dd is asleep.

It is hard, especially when dd is crying for milk when I have to make diner for ds. Or when ds is having his bedtime routine and dd is waking up. However for the last week and a half I have managed and it does get easier. I am shattered at the end of the day, but I guess that is also because of the broken nights sleep at night.

I do find cbeebies a godsend when feeding dd, but we also read books and this morning we were playing football whilst dd was munching away. (me from sitting on the couch, ds from standin at the other end of the room) Grow spurts are harder, for about 6 days dd wanted to feed every 20 to 30 min, only having little breaks in between. But even those we can through, so it can't be that hard.
  • Options
    my son is good with playing on own nd goes nursery 2 mornings a week,but thats part of my concern getting him there-picking him up with a baby that feeds alot. i do want to do it, but feel it may be an issue, if she feeds for long periods/frequently as it will limit my time with my son and getting him to nurseery ect.
  • Options
    I still go swimming with ds, or at least at the moment i am watching whilst oh goes in the swimming pool with him. But when bleeding stops and such I am planning on going in the pool again. During that time dd is not fed, I just get out of bed a little earlier in the morning and feed her before we go. Last time she did cry for a bit when in the car, but soon fell asleep and fed her again when home.

It doesn't hurt them if they have to wait a bit before they get food. If I have to cook diner for ds than dd has to wait for a bit. Yes they cry for a bit, but there is nothing wrong with it. Especially if you are out and about, the sound will not feel so horrible.

Give it a try and see how you get on, you can always switch to bottles if you find that easier.