Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

When Will It Stop Hurting?

George is now 23 days old, and since he was about 1 week old, it has been quite painful to feed. After latching on, it feels like I am being stabbed with hot pokers, and when he cluster feeds, my whole boob aches.

I had his latch checked at 1 week and it seemed ok. Is this something that will get better? I am using Lansinoh cream which helps slightly.

Replies

• hi hun, my lo is 24weeks now, my nipples hurt for a few weeks, i used to apply the lanisoh cream after every feed on my nipple and on my breast pad and that helped a lot, although my whole breast never hurt. Ive never had it but im not sure if that could be symptoms of mastitis, might be worth asking you mw or hv. If it is just feeding pain hopefully it will pass soon, mine did and now i reackon i have a tough pair of nipple.xxxxxxxx
  • Could be mastitis or thrush so might be worth a visit to the GP.

Most likely it'll just take time for the nipples to get used to it.

Also try feeding from only one breast each session and keep smothering the other in Lansinoh. Then switch for the next feed. They might recover a bit if you give each one a "rest"

• If the latch has been checked and looks fine, but it still hurts, something is still wrong!

Get someone eolse to watch you feed, and then get them to check for tongue tie! all kinds of tongue and lip tie, not just the obvious anterior tie, check for posterior, submucosal and upper labial lip tie too, they can all have effects, but even people checking for tongue tie tend not to check fir the more obscure ones.

If it hurts somethibg isn't right, it might not be the latch, but more often than not it is.

Don't be fobbed off by one person who says it all looks fine and to get on with it, if you were having unexplained stomach pains, doctors would order extra tears to get to the bottom of it, so why should I e ignored just because it's a breastfeeding issue?

Hope you get some answers!