Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

EBF moving to formula

Hey ive so far EBF but DS now has teeth and its starting to hurt! i will try and express for as long as possible but will have to move to formula at somepoint.

So as DS has never taken any formula before i have no idea what he should be going on, he is currently 5 months.

any advice would be great.

Replies

• Congratulations for breastfeeding for so long. My LO is 8 months and i have recently moved him onto formula for his day time feeds in preperation for me going back to work next month.

I replaced one feed at a time. Has your LO had a bottle before? My LO never took to a bottle and so we went straight onto a beaker which he has now got the hang of really well despite kicking off the first few times i offered it! I think the key is perserverance (?sp!). Maybe just offer the formula instead of the boobs first and if he really doesn't take to it then leave it and breastfeed. If you keep doing that, soon enough he will be inquisitive and want to try it. That's what happened with us anyway.

I had no idea on which type of formula to go for and opted for Aptamil. So far my LO has taken to it well so we are sticking with that. I think it's a case of pick one and see how they react. It may be that you need to change it depending on his needs but there's no harm in that.

Hope some of that helps.

xx
  • thanks nikkinoos yeh we are going straight for a beaker, he has had some water from there before, so bypassing the bottles (another thing to add to the list of stuff bought not used!)

i see the formula tins have numbers on them for different stages what number did you use?
  • We are still using the one we have always used which is Aptamil 1st milk in the blue tub. Our hv said it was fine to use up to 1 year. I think after that we'll just go straight onto cows milk. x
  • fab thanks for your help
  • No worries, hope your LO gets on ok with the formula. I'm sure he will. x