Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thrush - please help!

Hi ladies,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice or just some support!

My LO is 5 weeks old and so far the breast feeding has gone so much better than I thought it ever would! I was really worried about it but 5 weeks in and we were doing really well.

The problem is I have developed thrush not only in my nipples but also in the milk ducts. It's so painful it keeps me awake and I am starting to get worried about feeds. The pain shoots right through my breasts and my nipples are so sensitive even the slight brush of clothes can bring me near to tears!

I have been to the docs and got oral gel for baby and nipples and also antifungal tablets for me but still no improvement! Has anyone had this and how long did it take to clear up? It is making me so unhappy that breast feeding is starting to become something I don't want to do anymore image

Any advice would be great

Mrs Cake xx

Replies

• If you're not seeing any improvement at all in about 3 days I would go back. It could be that the gel or antibiotics arent working for you both and you may need an alternate. It wont have gone within in 3 days but I started to see an improvement. Maybe suggest they take a swab from you and your baby as that would show exactly what fungal infection it is and what to treat it worth. I would go back though if you arent seeing any improvement x
  • The thing about thrush is that its ruddy hard to get rid of, here were my 'thrush prevention' techniques. I had ductal and nipple, and it took an age to clear.

- try to keep a low sugar diet, thrush lurves sugar

- stay off bread, pizza etc, anything with high yeast content

- wash towels, clothes etc in hot washes and get them in the sunlight to kill the spores. You can also add grapefruit seed extract to your wash to kill spores

- take grapefruit seed extract tablets (can be pricey but worth it

- get your nipples out in the sunlight too (my neighbours must have thought I was nuts!)

- replace any dummies, bottle teats etc as it can be very difficult to get rid of on these even after sterilising

- check that the dose of fluconazole is high enough, you should have had a high 'loading' dose then a weeks worth of tablets, twice a day of 50-100mg

check out this leaflet, which actually says a high dose for 10 day. You can take it to your doc if you feel you are not getting anywhere as docs have very little training in bf

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

good luck, it took me weeks to get it clear and i know how sore it is, so I hope you get it sorted soon xx