Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please help!

The midwife has just been and my little girl has lost over a pound since she was born! She seems to think the nipple shields are the problem and babbas not able to empty the breast fully because of them? I can't understand why no one else seems to have this problem if this is the case?! I tried expressing Saturday and i could only express about 3oz over about 3/4 sessions so she can't be leaving too much in the breast can she?

Midwife has advised waking her for feeds straight onto the nipple every 2 hours but i'm struggling to get her to latch on without the shields. She won't open her mouth wide, just starts sucking straight away! We're both starting to get frustrated with it now.

I really want to be able to breastfeed but i'm so worried about her weight loss and now the fact i can't get her to feed every 2 hours because she won't latch on! I can't stop crying! I'm trying so hard and i feel like such a terrible mommy for her not gaining weight! The advice from my mom and OH is go straight to formula but i'm torn between trying everything to get breastfeeding to work and her increasing weight loss!

What can i do?

xx

Replies

• So sorry to hear that you are struggling but I would still try to continue. Are you feeding from single breast or do you switch between for every feed? The longer the baby stays on one breast the more of the rich hind milk she will get. I take it she seems satisfied after each feed? I used to find that my best time to express was after the first morning feed when my breasts were very full, I would feed say from the left and then express from the right and then doing the same sort of thing again late afternoon. I would then sometimes use this milk to top the baby up if he didn't seem satisfied. I found that the pump wasn't that great if I tried to pump after a feed. Also I found that pumping really slowly with a manual pump got the most milk, so a really slow gentle squeeze and on the release I would always be surprised at how much milk came down.

I hope you get enough support to keep going, I know it is worrying when your baby is not putting weight on but hopefully this will come.

fingers crossed and good luck
  • Don't go onto formula yet. My baby was 7lb6 born and 10 days later was 6lb9 and I was told the same as you. I was using nipple shields as I was sore. Don't use expressing milk as a guide to how much you are making or how much baby is taking as baby's are much better at getting the milk than any pump. Waking her every two hours is what I had to do but I also fed her whenever she was awake. Sometimes loads in 24 hours. As soon as she wakes before she starts hunting for food and getting frantic latch her straight on. The more she suckles the more milk your body will produce. If you are having trouble latching her on ask your midwife for advice or ask her for a referral to your local breast feeding counsellor. They will help you. Rather than allowing he to grab on, tickle her top lip with your nipple but not allowing her to grab on, this will encourage her to tip her head back and open her mouth wide. Once her head back and her mouth wide push her on. She shouldnt just have your nipple in her mouth as that will make you sore and she wont be able to get enough milk. Took me a few days to get the hang of it but I went on to feed my baby and she gained weight and never needed formula x
  • specifically ask the breastfeeding worker to check for tongue tie, as this can cause a weight loss in breastfed babies as they cant milk the breast effectively.

http://milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/tongue-tie-the-hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/#comment-67

my son was 8lbs 0oz born, and at day 5 had dropped to 6lbs 13oz,thats a 15% drop,he didnt feed til 3days old due to tongue tie and nipple shields saved the breastfeeding, until we had the tongue tie snipped at 2weeks old!

we are still happily feeding at 14weeks old and he is gaining weight consistently.

dont turn to formula, just keep feeding!! if she is feeding with shields, and wont without, keep using them until you get to the root of the problem!
  • Hi ladies, just to update you all and say thanks for the advice i was given. Sorry it's took me a while, i've been in and out of hospital as i heamorraghed twice! Despite that though feeding is much much better so thanks for all the advice i was given!

I ended up offering a top up of formula after every feed but she would only take an oz at best. Also, on expressing i was only managing 1-2oz after a feed over both breasts so i was sure she was getting enough from me. Lo and behold at the next weigh in she had put on 3oz in 2 days so i think it was a case of her being a big girl to start with (9lb 15oz) so she could afford to lose a little more.

I had a support worker come friday and help her latch without the nipple shields and she was so lovely! It turns out i was doing it right all along and i think because my midwife kinda panicked at the weight loss, so did i, hence i lost my confidence as a mommy! She's been latching on perfect without shields since the second the support worker came image

She was weighed again yesterday and is now 9lb 10oz so almost birth weight Unfortunately, i have an infection in my uterus, hence the major bleeding, and i'm on so many antibiotics she's sick after most feeds, so i'm back to topping up with formula again but there doesn't seem to be any confusion between the two!

I'm so glad i persevered! If there's one thing i've learned it's trust your mommy instincts!

xx