Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bbc3 breast is best.

Anyone see this? What did you think? I thought it was quite focussed on making her feel better about bottle feeding but great to see the different opinions of people. Very interesting to know about the milk banks, hopefully it will raise awareness of them as they're so vital. The teen girl's attitude was sad. Thought it was quite a good informative program, hopefully it will help more people give breastfeeding a go. I'm glad they had the bfing counsellors on to show anyone struggling that there's help out there.

Replies

• Hiya,

I'm 30+6 with my first baby and planning to breastfeed, I watched this last night and it scared me a little!!

I know it might not be easy and there might be problems and it might hurt but that made me even more afraid it wouldn't work and I might not be able to. I just really hope I'll be able to stick with it and keep going.

There are peer supporters in our area and I'm going to an antenatal workshop at 37wks to hopefully learn all about it. And I hope they will be there to help and advise after the birth too.

The programme was interesting and it was very sad that the girl knew it was best but just wasn't the done thing where she lives.

xxx
  • I think it should have been a bit less, 'oh breastfeeding is so hard, no wonder people give up' because the girl, Emma, was me at the beginning. I think the scenes of her at night are probably going on in bfing households across the country, I just think it should have made it clearer that this is usually how it starts and then it gets easier with time, perseverance and support from the right people but not everyone turns into a 'lactivist'. I thought it was a good program all in all but should have been a bit less focussed on the difficulties of it and why people give up. Everyone seemed to fall in two camps, the kind that had terrible struggles and the kind that were happy to flop their entire boob out everywhere. I think there are others kinds of breastfeeders out there, like me, who struggled a bit at first, got some good support and turned a corner and now love it, will feed anywhere but would not be comfortable just flopping my whole boob out to do it. Good to raise awareness though. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the one tonight about the pregnant women who 'misbehave' chain smoking and drinking heavily etc. image
  • I think it was interesting that the teenage mum said that if it was more common to see on public, she might change her viewpoint on it - although maybe some mums are just too discrete!

The entrepreneur mum was quite balanced, and she'd never even thought about doing it!

I liked seeing how long it took the second time mum to acheive a latch - I could have done with seeing that a month ago before I gave birth! I'd have tried a bit longer that first day now! But he latched in the end!
  • I liked seeing how long it took the second time mum to acheive a latch - I could have done with seeing that a month ago before I gave birth! I'd have tried a bit longer that first day now! But he latched in the end!

First time ds was premature and had problems latching on, went to bottles and only managed to latch on properly after a week. dd (second child) was on the breast before midwifes had a chance to get her weight. It was her choice and she was looking for it and did most of it herself. So don't get put off that first time there are a lot of problems, second time it can be completely differnt or you might have different problems. :S

I haven't watched the programme yet, but planning to when oh is away tonight. I think it is quite nice to raise awerness to the difficulties of breastfeeding and that it isn't always as easy as people make you believe it is.
  • I'm watching it now, and sitting here in tears. Emma was me up until 2 weeks ago. She describes the feelings I had so perfectly. I must make hub watch so he understands it wasn't just me! X