Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

advice please regarding thrush

well zac has had thrush for a while and unfortunatley passed it onto me i have never felt anything so painful :cry:

doctor gave me antibiotics and it seemed to settle down and zac is clear but few days after i finished antibiotics it seems to have come back with a vengence to the point where i am in floods of tears the pain is so bad the doctor has given me canesten to try and help and i try to bf zac as much as i can bear which at the moment isnt much and express where i can to feed him that instead to give me a break as the pain lasts quite a while after each feed i am also using nipple shields and lanisoh (sp?) but wander if anyone else has any advice as am struggling to cope with the pain to the point where i feel like giving up and i really dont want to do that image

Replies

• Please be careful with the shields, the thrush infection will linger on them even after sterilising which will not make the pain stop. Also here is my 'thrush prevention plan' which i followed when I had it.

- try to keep a low sugar diet, thrush lurves sugar

- stay off bread, pizza etc, anything with high yeast content

- wash towels, clothes etc in hot washes and get them in the sunlight to kill the spores. You can also add grapefruit seed extract to your wash to kill spores

- take grapefruit seed extract tablets (can be pricey but worth it

- get your nipples out in the sunlight too (my neighbours must have thought I was nuts!)

- replace any dummies, bottle teats etc as it can be very difficult to get rid of on these even after sterilising

- check that the dose of fluconazole is high enough, you should have had a high 'loading' dose then a weeks worth of tablets, twice a day of 50-100mg

check out this leaflet, which actually says a high dose for 10 day. You can take it to your doc if you feel you are not getting anywhere as docs have very little training in bf

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf
  • ooh ibuprofen before a feed will also help if its ductal thrush, there is nothing like the pain, hope it clears soon xx
  • thanks for the advice will try follow it was thinking of getting vari flo teats as 1st stage are too slow so will be doing that tomorrow

could it be ductal thrush as the pain seems to go the whole way through the breast kind of in lines if that makes sense cant take ibuprofen due to asthma any other suggestions?

i was taking fluconazole 100mg 4 times a day for a week but the doc hasnt given me anymore

i have been expressing as much as possible what can i do about spore things on the pump as i tend to wash that and the shields in soapy water then just sterilise

if i dont if i replace breastfeeds with pumping will this affect my supply whilst i try clear it up i still try to give him breast but gets to painful

i have been craving sugar atm so guess i will have to cut down on the 3 packets of cookies a day i have been eating :cry:

thanks once again for the advice
  • anything that you can't throw out boil for 20 minutes. sounds ductal, i feel for you, hope it clears soon x