Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

supplements to increase supply?

hello ladies,

i have heard you can take supplements to increases supply, can these be taken before birth? or is it worth waiting and seeing?

Replies

• Options
    I think it all depends on brands, your pharmacist should be able to recommend what's suited and what isn't. Sorry if it's not much help.
  • Options
    I'm not sure but have you organised a visit to your local feeding advisor pre birth, as they might have some good tips. I've done peer training but don't know about supplements before baby arrives x
  • Options
    I would wait and see, my supply was plentiful to start with absolutely solid with milk and leaking everywhere for weeks.

If you like me are unlucky enough to then suffer from low supply there are things you can do yourself before taking supplements such as switch feeding, breast compressions and pumping for 5 minutes after each feed to naturally stimulate supply.

Your HV will not be able to recommend any herbal supplements as they cant advocate alternative therapies. Although mine did on the whisper say that fenugreek was sometimes used - i found that the woman in holland and barratt was very helpful when i went to try and investigate.

Unfortunately none of the above worked for me and i have now been taking domperidone for several months which has given me the boost that was needed.

I think that you will be very unlucky if you cant produce enough milk but hopefully the above will be helpful if you do end up with problems.
  • Options
    hi. i would wait and see too. with dd1 my milk came in and disappeared within hours! with lizzie, i breastfeed for 3 weeks, changed to formula,went through a horrid stage of feeling really guilty about stopping bf and decided i wanted to start agin so i brought some fenugreek and it worked but there are side effects- my breast still leak (not a lot by any means but i know it happens!) now and i didnt carry on breast feeding and only took the pills for 3 weeks! lizzie is 16 months!!!

so for me my body went from one extreme to the other with my pregnancys x
  • Options
    thanx ladies, i didnt have enough last time, i am going to a breastfeeding ante natal on monday so hoping they will have some good tips!
  • Options
    Piggypops if you have any problems this time round, please feel free to contact me, i have loads of tips and can offer support at i have been through it all now!
  • Options
    I eat porridge most days as oats are supposed to help! I figure it fills me up and might help a little, but I didn't feel I needed an actual supplement. Flapjacks are a great night feed snack too early on when you have the munchies!
  • Options
    For me Fenugreek did nothing and Nettle Extract was the solution - but much harder to get hold of and tastes like grass! I would wait until day 3/4 when your milk comes in and assess then whether you need a supplement or not xx