Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast pump recommendations?

Hello, I'm hoping to start expressing soon and would like to buy a breast pump. I've had a few recommended and a lot of people say the medela swing is a good one but does it just depend on breast shape? As they can be quite expensive I want to be sure I get a good one. I'd be interested to hear what you have an how you get on with them and also opinions on manual vs electric. I would probably be looking at 1 expressed feed a day maybe 2.

Thanks x

Replies

• I have an electric pump, well 2 in fact.

I had the tommee tippee one as bought when on offer and bought steriliser etc. Pump was crap. Ended up returning as kept sucking up milk through tube which seems to be a common fault.

I then bought medela swing which was much better. Could get more oz quicker than tt one.

I got from freecycle a medela mini electric (so can express from both boobs, one pump in each hand!)

I have found both medelas to be good and probably would have bought the cheaper one had I known that it worked really well!

Iv only th :evil: e bottle that came with pump, once finished I pour into sterilised bottle and put milk lid on.

Only issue with electric pump is quite noisy. Not tried manual so can't compare!
  • Medela swing is great. X
  • I have a manual. I think if you are planning on a lot of expressing an electric would be great as they are quicker but I think they are expensive if you are only going to use it once a day. I have a manual Avent one and find it brilliant
  • I've got the Philips Avent Isis IQ electric one - it's great, I used it lots with my first son and have started using again with my second. I was expressing a lot first time round as I wanted him to still have breastmilk when I went back to work two days a week.
  • Thanks for your replies, I decided to go for it and get the Medela swing, I had some tesco vouchers which took the price down a bit. It's all sterilised and ready to go tomorrow, quite excited!! x