Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Formula at night.

My lo is a few days away from 6 months and still waking loads, at least 3 times a night, for feeds. I'm shattered and have been advised several times to try a last eve feed bottle of formula to help. I don't know whether to try it, I'm exhausted but also feel guilty about it. Bfing has been a long and ultimately rewarding journey for us but it's draining me now being up so much. I had a few probs with traumatic labour and feel that I'm compensating my body's failure with bfing, (don't worry, I'm aware how irrational the failure thought is!), and so feel really upset at the thought of missing that feed. On the other hand, I would like to try it just one night to see whether it helps. I guess I just needed to ask if anyone else has tried it, did it work and do you express that feed to keep supply up? Lo has been trying solids for about a month and wolfs down everything that is put in front of her and eats finger foods well so I'm pretty sure she's hungry, she's a very big baby for her age, been in 6-9 and even some 9-12 stuff for a while now. Trying it tonight,(I think!), so any replies appreciated!!

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I started introducing comination feeds to my DD between 6-7mths old, partly to introduce her to the idea of drinking something other than mummy milk and partly so hubby could join in the feeding programme too. It took a little while for her to accept a full bottle with her mostly licking or sniffing the teat to begin with but once she'd gotten used to the idea she loved her formula as much as her breastfeed. Formula did tend to leave her fuller for longer so became a bedtime or pre cartrip ritual. Good luck.
  • Options
    i have had a few nights where i havent feed my lo and to keep your milk supply up you have to express that feed hun, or you will get big leakage and your milk will decrease. all you can do is express a bit off when they are really full but not to much and it will stop making that feed. thats if you plan to stick the bottle or if you only giving it ago i would express that feed until you sure. im trying to get my lo on sma at night (four months) she isnt having any of it. (just posted thread). you can give her formula and breastmilk hun it wont hurt. i have learnt with my lo that if i express a bottle she will go longer without feeding. maybe try that first.