Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

where do you put sterilised bottles and dummies?

Hi this wasn't so much of a problem when my baby was younger but now she's 4 months old, i;m sterilising different things all the time.

Where do people put dummies and bottles etc when they're sterilised but you hsve to use the steriliser for something else?

Thanks so much

Replies

• Hi, we keep our sterilised bottles in the cupboard, and just use them as we need them. I reckon as llong as they are not opened then they are stil sterile inside. My midwife was hapy with us doing this. As for dummys, we only use one just now really as DS is only 3 weeks old, but once hes older and may have a few, i woudl prob put cap/lid that you get with them on them and keep them in cupboard too...but tbh id prob just sterilise and use straight away, or pour boiling water over it straight beofre giving to baby, as i wouldnt trust that it would still be sterile after sitting for a while.x
  • We keep ours in the fridge - we have a dedicated shelf just for the lo. I do this because the fridge is always clean nd tidy and I find it easy to rotate the bottles as I use them and steralise them so none are lying too long. I think bottles are only sterile for 24 hours anyway so you can't keep them very long. I could be wrong though!
  • In the early days I wouldn't have kept any sterile bottles anywhere, because as soon as it's open they're not sterile - BUT I had 2 month old preemie twins and was scared to do anything wrong cos of a month in Neonatal...

BUT

There's nothing wrong with storing them in the fridge, I've done it for a month or two now and they've come to no harm.

As for the dummies you could have a small tub of Milton solution and store them in the Milton, it's fab and loads easier than a steriliser.

OR, have a tub that you sterilise from time to time and use it just for the dummies.

I've been obsessed by 'the rules' for the last 10 months, but in truth if you're very clean you can't go far wrong.