Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

How cani heal them quickly & feed?

Been having latching issues since I gave birth on 10th may.

Thomas doesn't open his mouth wide, at least not long enough for me to get him positioned on my nipple correctly. Also got told by mw I have small flat nipples so he has to suck very hard on them & the bad latch aggravates it.

They are sore, and I think they're cracking as after a feed I get these bits that sort of peel off and then the bit that peeled gets a sort of dark patch on it which I'm guessing is a scab?

So my question is how can I heal them & keep feeding. I'm working on the latch & using some lanisoh samples the mw gave me but can I heal them quicker? Any tricks out there?

Replies

• Hello lovely,

have you tried Nipple shields? they sell them at boots they helped me sooooo much when i got really bad nipples from wee man.

Hope this helps x
  • Hey, I had the exact same problem, small flat nipples and difficult latch. The good news is it does get easier, I am still bf-ing at 6 months and it is completely pain free. I used to give them a break, lots of lanisoh after every feed and I would sometimes feed only from one side for a couple of feeds and express the other and then swap over to give them a break. Your nipples will harden up. COngratulations on your new arrival, Thomas is a lovely name xx
  • I had the same problem too, small flat nipples (the don't look so flat now 11 months later!) I found really point my nipple up towards the roof of his mouth helped as then the scab wouldn't always come off, but its so hard to do every time. Lots of lansinoh, before, after and during a feed. Nipple shields can be ace but I didn't get on with them. medela do different sizes so if you do want to try I would recommend them as regular ones are way too big for little nipples. hope it all starts to heal soon (it will get easier and less painful - promise) xx
  • Hey congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its normal to go through this after baby has started to feed. I hit a stage around 3 weeks and i suffered toe curling pain but i just got through it and it eventually gets easier. I used Lansinoh which is amazing and my doctor prescribed it. Also warm flannels helped.My doctor also prescribed something which looked like a small shredded wheat and it was coated in what seemed like vasaline.It stuck to my bra and it stopped the rubbing.Amazing things but i cant remember the name.It came in a packaging like a medi-wipe would come in.

Izzy has a poor latch but Thomas will just learn in a few weeks.It might not be his latch,it might just be that your boobs are getting use to feeding.

One thing i tell everyone breast feeding is do not get into the habit of getting him to sleep on the breast (when he is a bit older.) Izzy is 9 months and im still doing it.I have no other way of getting her to sleep unless we do the control crying which we have started to do.

Enjoy BF.

H

• After a feed hand squeeze a small snout if milk out and rub it into your nipple. Let it air dry and repeat a few times to bold up several layers of milk . If you can sit without a bra or top on to let the air get to your nipples for a while whilst you do this it really helps. Breastmilk has healing properties for us too! I used to alternate between this and sathering on the lansinoh but found that the milk helped the most. As others have said you'll probably find that your nipples are in the toughening up stage. For me it really did get better at six weeks, it was like flipping a switch. Good luck!
  • i would suggest getting the reason your latch is poor fixed, otherwise it wil keep happening.

small/flat nipples arent really an inhibitor, as all babies can draw them out with the right latch.

try feeding in a differnt position t assit with latch.

and definitely lots of lansinoh, total godsend!
  • The gauze stuff is called jellonet, your hv will have it if you give her a call, or some boots chemists will have some. It really helps.
  • Just spotted something in Boots and Mothercare which could help, nipple shells. They mean that the air can get to your nipples while you still have your bra on. I will be purchasing some this time.