Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

will i need special tops?/food intake

for bf? i dont want to buy loads of new tops if i can help it,but want to make sure im covered up when out in puplic feeding.

also with regards to food intake, you read so much about eating more,surely if i go by my own hunger scale i will produce enough.thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hey, I eat normally and I don't have a problem with milk supply although I am generally very hungry after a feed and very thursty during one! On the clothing front I layer I have a vest under my top and I pull my top up and my vest down then I tuck a muslin under my bra strap and drape it over her head. It works so well for me that some people have pulled the muslin off me to see her and then become very embarrassed lol! That'll teach them! When she was tiny (she is 6 months now) I used a baba sling, I actually walked around M&S shopping while she was feeding and no-one had any idea. I do have nursing bras, couldn't manage without them!
  • Options
    Totally agree with socks, as long as you have no eating problems, just follow your hunger, it will increase, and you can eat cake and loose weight which is amazing image (not that I'm suggesting you gets your extra cals from cakeimage )

I got a few b/f tops, mothercare ones are awful! Really frumpy and not particularly practical. I loved h+m's stuff I got 2 feeding vest tops (they had clips like a feeding bra, and 1 feeding top which were all ace. A lot of the time I just wore a normal top that was loose around the bottom or the top, along with a vest top, or feeding vest, and it was no bother. Gets much easier with practise, and you'll find what works for you, so I wouldn't spend too much money until baby is here xx
  • Options
    I did the same, nursing vests and tops/cardis/scarves over the top. All very discreet, I hope! I got mine from next and a couple of plain black 3/4 length sleeves from there too.

Bf is a nice excuse to carry on eating the naughty things I had during pregnancy. It's one reason i've not stopped bf! only joking!! Xx
  • Options
    Last time I found belly bands great for feeding as I could pull up my top and unclip my nursing bra. With the belly band under, nobody could see my tummy and there was no extra fabric bunched up under my boobs, while the top of my breasts was not exposed as I had my top there. This time though I'm in dresses all the time due to the c-section and waistbands digging in my scar, less discreet for feeding though!!
  • Options
    agree with the above!

ive noticed that buttons are in this season, which is particularly handy! im not really fussed about people watching me feed, besides ive always worn low cut tops so feeding shows no more boob than that!

but a good nursing bra is a must!

i find my hunger levels arent much different,though it does make me very very thirsty, in the early days i was going through a 1l bottle of concentrate squash every 2 days, which i believe is around 5/6 l of squash!