Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Changing formula - have you done it and did it help?!!

Hi,

My little boy is just over 10 weeks old and has been formula fed on Cow and Gate since he was 2 and a half weeks old. Before that I was breastfeeding but gave up when I was readmitted to hospital with mastitis.

He was quite colicky to start with so we use the Dr Brown's bottles and gave him Infacol before each feed. This has helped get his wind up but for the last couple of weeks he has started being sick after a feed. Sometimes it will be over an hour after his feed and sometimes it will be straight after. I'm not too worried about the bit of milk that comes back up straight after a feed, but I am starting to worry about him being sick after an hour or so afterwards.

I mentioned to the health visitor about 2 weeks ago that I was thinking of changing his formula as he had started to be sick and she told me not to, so I didn't. He doesn't seem to like Infacol and I wondered if that was making him sick, so I stopped giving him that yesterday. It doesn't seem to have made much difference to his wind (he is still able to burp!) but he's still being sick.

So to those of you who have changed formula, what did you change from and what did you change to, and why did you change over? I'm just really not sure whether to carry on with the C&G stuff or to try changing to something else - I suppose I'm a bit worried that changing formula might upset him even more!

Thanks Ladies

Millie x

Replies

• Options
    Hi, my DD never really took to the Cow & Gate formula so I tried the SMA gold formula which she couldn't get enough of. It may take a few feeds to adjust to the slightly different taste but if you LO seems unhappy with current feeds try offering an alternative and see whether it makes a difference (maybe there is something in the formula they're allergic to?) Best wishes and good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. He wasn't as sick yesterday since stopping the Infacol so I think maybe that was upsetting him a bit. We are going to try him for another week on the Cow and Gate stuff to see if he's ok now he's not having Infacol but if it carries on then we will switch to something else.

• Options
    Have you raised the issue of reflux with your HV? It may not be the milk or infacol thats causing the probs. We started on SMA, but had a very windy, constipated unhappy babe....so switched to C&G and she was a different child! I would just double check with your HV about what is causing the sickness...but switching formulas shouldnt cause too many probs

HTH x