Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Questions about breastmilk storage

Hi

I've expressed some milk into freezer bags in the freezer but each bag only has 1 or 2 oz of milk.

My mum is looking after my 11 week old son for a few hours next week.

So can i add the bags together into one bottle? How do you defrost breast milk and how long does it take to defrost? Also does it need to be warmed?

Many thanks

Replies

• i have added bags together before with no problems so it should be fine. I either defrosted mine slowly in the fridge which would take a few hours or in a bowl of hot water if we were desperate for it quickly, which would only take a few minutes. as far as warming goes i just used a bottle warmer but i know a friend of mine who's twins are happy to take it cold from the fridge!
  • I asked my HV the same thing about stored milk and she said it was fine to add bags together. I lo has had mixed bags a few times with no trouble. Only think she did say was if you are adding freshly expressed milk to a frozen bag for freezing put the freshly expressed stuff in the fridge first so it doesn't defrost the already frozen milk when you add it. As for defrosting, I get it out of the freezer in the morning and pop it in a cool bag, when I want it I wop it in the microwave, never caused me an issue as long as you shake it properly first x