Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding with a pierced nipple

Has anyone got experience of breastfeeding from a pierced nipple? Or knows anyone who has?

Thanks

Replies

• Yes! Not me, but a friend of mine fed fine, although obviously the piercing wasn't in while she fed, her lo had no problems at all, in fact she said her lo fed more easily from the pierced side! Good luck! x
  • Thanks, that's really reassuring!

Fio
  • I had both my nipples peirced years ago,and took the bars out at 16 weeks pregnant (holes are still open and there) and next week ill have breatfed for a year! So yeah, it doesn't affect it! I breast fed both my children and had the bars in after I gave up the first time until I took them out when I was pregnant again. Don't feed with them in (obviously!)

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks Mummy_Gracie, also very reassuring! I had my nipple pierced when I turned 40, thinking I was past wanting any more kids as mine were grown. Things change though, don't they? I'm with a new partner now, and we want to have a baby. I was worried I would only be able to breasfeed from the un-pierced nipple. Both your answers have made me feel much happier!

Fio x
  • Some problems you may encounter while breastfeeding are:

* If your baby latches incorrectly, your nipples may become sore or irritated and it will be painful to reinsert your jewelry.

* If you breastfeed in public, you will need to remove your piercing, exposing your breasts for longer than you might be comfortable with.

* Night nursing and co-sleeping while nursing is a wonderful experience but if your baby tries to latch onto your nipple while your piercing is still in, it can cause difficulties. You might want to consider sleeping without the piercing or be able to remove the piercing before your baby latches.

Another concern for breastfeeding mothers is whether the holes in the nipple will affect feeding. The nipple is made up of fatty tissue that is similar to a sponge. As a result, the milk comes out in various places and may include the piercing holes. This does not negatively affect nursing. If milk flow is increased because of the holes, it's usually not enough to choke your baby. It may even be helpful for babies that have a soft suckling motion.

Breast Soother

Maternity bras