Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Help Im new to this and already panicking

I gave birth to my beautiful daughter on Thursday 21st June and decided to breastfeed from the off. At first everything seemed to be okay albeit a bit painful!

Now my milk is starting to come in today Phoebe has been reluctant to feed. (Im feeding by demand) but she last fed at 2pm yesterday 10 hours ago. I have been trying to get her to take a feed but she just wont. Im really scared now and dont know what to do. Surely she must be hungry WHY WONT SHE FEED????

Replies

• If your milk has just come in your boobs are probably like beachballs to her and your let down could be a bit fast, try expressing some off first and then squeezing your boob between your thumb and fingers so it is a bit flatter for her to latch on too. She will get the hang of it hun it is not unusual don't panic. Go to your local breast feeding support group too, they are great for support. Lastly (I know it is hard) but don't get stressed. If she won't take give her to someone else for 10 minutes or so and then try again xx
  • Thanx for your response.

I ended up phoning the breastfeeding helpline who advised me of some things to do which I had already. Thankfully Phoebe took a feed after i had called.

She feed well this morning and throughout the day. The health support worker came tothe house today and reassured me that everything i was experiencing was normal which helped. 2 o clock this morning i was ready to stop but i think i will keep on taking it a day at a time.
  • Glad you got some help. You are doing the right thing by taking it a day at a time. I had some really bad days at the start and said I would get to 6 weeks. Well my daughter is now 8 months and still breastfed. Don't forget your hormones will be rampaging at the moment which makes everything seem so much worse! I didn't say congratulations by the way xx Hope you have a smooth and enjoyable breastfeeding journey xx