Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

walking baby for night feeds

My baby is 12 weeks old today and I have been waking him every 4-5 hrs during the night for a feed as when he was first born he was early, last night we woke him 6 hourly which he seemed ok with, should i really leave him now to wake himself, would he wake up when hungry? How long should he be left for without a feed at night, during the day he feeds every 3-4 hours for about an hour at a time

xx

Replies

• Options
    At 12 weeks feeding should be well established and he should also be dropping feeds on his own (as long as he is over 9lbs)

He will wake and tell you when he wants feeding, so I wouldn't wake him at all. I would also only feed him during the day when he asks for it but every 3-4 hours sounds about right for his age.

Enjoy the extra sleep!

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    DD is twelve weeks and iswaking for 2 night feeds between 7 and 7, i would think if you are happy with his weight leaving him for a feed would be fine, i usually wait for DD to stir before getting them out x
  • Options
    id say as long as hes gaining weight well now its fine to leave him to wake up on his own. my son is now 10 weeks and has uusually 6 feeds per day, every 3-4h during the day with a long gap from 10pm-5am-ish at night. but hes gained weight like a champion so i have no reason for concern on that account. if in doubt speak to a doctor maybe. x
  • Options
    Unless its been medically advised you don't need to wake a baby at night x
  • Options

my little girl in 6 weeks old and i have never woke her at night to feed. I have been lucky she feeds very well and gain loads of weight she was feeding every 2 hours and i waited for her to tell me she hungary. Now she sleeps from 7pm till 11.30pm then awake at 2.30 then again at 4.30 then up at 6! I dont find this to bad but she has a very big appitite.