Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on getting a feeding routine???

Can anyone help with advice on how to coax my LO into a better feeding routine? He is now 6 weeks old and I would like to start getting some sort of routine. When he was first born he would wake up sometime between 10-11pm for a bottle and wake up about 2am. He now has a bottle between 7.30 and 8 and then wakes up at about 2am. Its great that he is now going 6 hours but the time in which he does this is a little annoying. I cant get him to wake for the 10-11 feed to try and get him to go through at a time I would be in bed.....I feel like a bad mother trying to work him around me, but I just cant see me going to be at 8.30 everynight as it would mean no time for me and my partner to spend together? Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    Hey

I have just stopped breast feeding and put Isabelle on to a bottle. I put her to bed at 8:30pm and she then usually wakes between 5:30/6:30am. Have you heard of the dream feed?

This is were you get the baby up feed them without actually waking them. You have to be gentle and it needs to still be in a dark room I have a small plug in light. Isabelle will usually take about 2oz which only sounds a little but it is usually enough to see her through. I normally do this at 11pm when I go up to bed.

If you fancy a read this is the book I found out about dream feeds from:

Secrets of a baby whisperer by Tracy Hogg you can get it at mother care. I am a first time mummy and have found this book really useful it's has been passed around in the family it is also great if you are looking to have a routine.

Give the dream feed a shot and see if it works let me know how you get on!

Annie
  • Options
    My daughter had the same routine as you are describing when she was newborn. I tried the dream feed for a week and ended up more than I had done previously. She took 2oz but wouldnt settle properly again despite concerted efforts to be very gentle and quiet. When she eventually did settle she still woke up at 2!! It is worth a try because I know lots of mums who it works for, I just think my baby is a particularly light sleeper! Unfortunately for us, 22 weeks down the line a good nights sleep still evades me! The clocks going back completely threw Phoebe out of her routine and she now goes 7-midnight/1am, then up again between 3.30-4.30. I was hoping food might settle her but it hasnt, and she is still taking 4-5oz at each feed so to me must be hungry. My recomendation would be to try everything that is suggested, but if all fails you just have to go with your baby. I live in hope that we will have that full nights sleep soon!
  • Options
    My little girl had pretty much the same sort of routine as yours; bath and bed by 7:30-8:00 and then up anytime for a feed between 3:00 and 4:00. To be honest I didn't agree with the dreamfeeding - I just thought that I'd be seriously annoyed if someone shoved a bottle in my mouth when I was sleeping! So I gave this a miss. And to be fair, on those nights when she woke herself for a feed at 11pm, she still woke up as usual for her night feed.

Out of the blue, at 12 weeks old she just started to sleep through the night. The first night was until 5:00am - at which point I got her up, fed her and she went back to bed until 7:00am. The second night she was up at 5:30 had a feed but would not go back to sleep at all! However, from then on she slept until atleast 6:30-7:00am each night and now at 23 weeks she's usually in bed until 8:00am. I don't think its particularly anything that we have done - I think she's just a good sleeper. Having said that, I am firm with her routine of bath, feed and bed and she usually goes to bed awake and we dont hear a peep out of her.

I read every book going and whilst I did gather some useful information I decided in the end that they hadn't written about me or my child and as such only I could find my way!