Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sore cracked nipples

Hi all,

I'm currently expressing every 3 hours as my baby (10 days) is in hospital on the neonatal unit. I've got awfully sore and cracked nipples, one much worse than the other.I'm continuing to express as I know my milk will dry up otherwise but, oh my goodness it hurts!

Does anyone have any miracle cures or advice on how I can help my nipples and not have to endure hours of painful expressing?

Thanks,

Replies

• Options
    I have heard great things about Lansinoh nipple cream from friends, and read a lot of reviews on it on Mothercare and Boots site, so I have bought some ready can't personally vouch for it but hope it helps
  • Options
    My midwife said the lansinoh cream is the best thing for it, and you can get it on prescription from the doctors. All you need to do is ring up & tell them you've had your baby & they'll do you a prescription, otherwise is a tenner for a small tube! X
  • Options
    I didn't know you could get it prescribed, but Lansinoh is the best! I had a really sore nipple on one side as baby preferred one breast and wasn't latching on to the other correctly. I had taken a cheap nipple cream to hosp with me, but they gave me a sachet of Lansinoh and it worked wonders, so i bought a tube. Yes it's ??10, but i only needed to get one as it lasted ages until we'd figured the latch out.

Expressing shouldn't make you sore though should it? I was expressing off my sore side as i couldn't bear to feed off that side until it had healed. Have you seen a lactation expert? They should have one on the baby unit.

Hope your little one is ok.

xxx
  • Options
    maybe your pump has a different sized part to it that might stop putting pressure on the bit thats sore? some come with different sized parts for your nipple! Just a thought. Lansinoh i can vouch for as totally fab. I still have the same tube and LO is 5 months old, although didnt really need it after 8 weeks or so. I suffered with sore nipples when breast feeding and no one could see he was doing it wrong. In the end we fed with a nipple shield which was amazing but this wont help with soreness from pumping - often the best people to speak to are lactation consultants at the hospital but you might have to seek them out.

Well done on doing such a fab job for your LO, keep going if you can it will get easier xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, another firend recommended lanisoh but with daily trips to the hospital and a busy toddler to also look after I never got round to getting any. I persevered with the expressing and my nipples have now healed and I'm having very little problems at all.

I think expressing is the same as breastfeeding in that it takes a little time for your nipples to get used to it but get better with time.