Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bringing milk back all the time

Hi everyone!my baby son is 11 weeks old and every feed he pukes lots of milk up and is hungry again sometimes less than 3 hours(most of the time he feeds ever 3 hours - 7oz).

He was on Cow&Gate number 1 but brought lots of milk up especially after an hour and looked sometimes like cottage cheese sometimes just like watery puke! my friend said he has a reflux so we changed milk d,he is right now on SMA Staydown special for babies with reflux but he still pukes a lots and crues and doesnt want to sleep any advice????am getting desperate now please!

the HV always says its just sicky baby and it doesnt maatter but i dont believe it!

Replies

• Hi Smileymum,

I would take LO to GP. My son has had reflux (he's breast fed) since 3 weeks old. Initially he would be what they call a 'happy spitter' & bring up milk without it bothering him. This changed after a few weeks & he would become distressed during feeds & when sick. He was prescribed Infant Gaviscon which whilst it did not especially reduce the sickness the GP felt it may help with reducing acid which could damage his throat & make him reluctant to feed. Thankfully he's always been a hungry baby & has thrived. He is now 5 months old & whilst is is still sick this has reduced dramatically & he has very little gaviscon now. I believe you know your baby best & if you are not satisfied with advice given you are entitled to another opinion.

It is knackering having to feed so much, and we worried alot. However we did get used to it over the weeks & became better at dealing with the sickness.

We also have LO's crib wedged up at head end to help with sickness. We also tried cranial osteopathy which whilst it didn't reduce sickness his pain levels improved after several sessions.

Good luck

Linds
  • My niece has reflux. My SIL was having to change her 5/6 times a day because she was constantly sick. She was prescribed Infant gaviscon (used with regular milk)and has been much better ever since. You can only get it on prescription though. It does depend on your doctor, it took my SIL four trips to the doctors before they finally prescribed gaviscon, she practically had to bed for it. Yet when I took my daughter to the doctor because she had been sicky for a couple of days and I thought she had a tummy bug, they told me it was reflux prescribed gaviscon straight away! I didn't use the gaviscon with my daughter because I knew she didn't have reflux, just an upset tummy which resolved itself within a couple of days. Its worth a try with your doctor. The problem with reflux is that it can make their throat sore because they are constantly being sick. That is usually why some reluxy baby's want more milk: to soothe their throat rather than because they are still hungry. The trouble is, it is a vicious circle. Good luck x
  • Maybe reflux?

I'd take little one to GP.

Have you tried elavating his basket/cot slightly? If he has reflux this will help with sleeping.

Also, keep him upright for at least 20 mins after a feed and try not to put him in positions that put pressure on his tummy or scrunch it up.

littlerefluxers.co.uk have been a massive support to me as my little man has reflux pretty bad