Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding Chair

Hi everyone,

G/Cing from DI August! I need some advice if possible from you lovely ladies. I am looking to buy a chair for the nursery but hate the specific breast feeding chairs - do you have any recommendations as to style of chairs you are finding comy - arms, no arms, hig back, low back, high seat or low, foot rest or no etc?

Thanks so much, I really want to breastfeed but also want to be comfy!

CeeLou xx

Replies

• Options
    Hiya

My little girl BF so often that i would be a recluse if i went into the nursery everytime to feed her. I have found that in order to save my sanity (and look after my 4yr old) that i need to feed her when and where ever she is hungry. At night she sleeps with me so we lie together and feed.

My advise would be to not get something too expensive in case you prefer to feed somewhere else but make sure your back is supported well and has space for extra cushions if needed. Iv never needed a foot rest but anything could be used until you decide if you really need one.

Good luck, its hard but soo worth it!
  • Options
    My son is 4 months and we've just moved him into his nursery. Previously he was in our room (in a crib) so I just fed him in bed, or on the sofa during the day. Since moving him we decided we had to get a chair as I like to give him his last feed in his nursery, so he knows it's bedtime. I also didn't want a specific nursing chair as I think they're really ugly, so we had a trip to ikea and bought this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90078462/

It is soooo comfy! The arms are low so it is ideal for breastfeeding, even now my boy is getting big. It also gently rocks which is lovely. It's so fab that I prefer to feed him there in the day now too, or just go and read my book in it while he's asleep! They also do a miniature version for kids which we had to buy - so cute! Very cheap too compared to others we looked at.

xxx
  • Options
    hi

i had heard bad reports of bf chairs, that they arent that comfy, i had my nana's orthopaedic chair (no honestly) i know it sounds awful but its AMAZING for your back, i sit and feed henry at night and i dose off so easy as every bit of my back is supported. Henry is on a widgey horseshoe pillow around my waist and i dose while he bfs. Its lovely.

I agree though - you do go out of your mind staring at the nursery walls and i do bf a lot on the sofa in front of the telly - however, last thing at night and night feeds are always done in my nana's chair in a tranquil nursery, the time has been really special.

Im sure a foot rest would be comfy too. I dont really fancy rocking though - we've never rocked henry and some babies can get addicted to it!

Good luck x
  • Options
    Thank you all so much image I am determined to at least try feeding and just want to make sure I don't give myself excuses not to!

Loving the Ikea chair - brilliant idea image

Thank you all

CeeLou xx
  • Options
    Definitely give breastfeeding a go, and just wanted to say be patient. It's not easy, it took us 4 weeks and a good few tears to completely get on with it, but it's so worth it.

xxx
  • Options
    Couldn't access the ikea link, so may be repeating an idea but I used an ikea poang chair. The small arms generally don't get in the way and it's very comfy.
  • Options
    we also have the ikea chair although i BF in bed at night and on the sofa in the day, when we moved her to her own room i used it though, but it wasnt a neccecity tbh,