Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

BF and weaning

We haven't started solids yet as i want to wait til 6 months, which is 16th March. I am wondering once he starts eating solids what happens with the breastfeeding, is it still as often?

What I am trying to work out is how long i'd be able to go for between feeds / expressing before i get engorged. I am hoping to do a 30 hour charity trek at 8 months, but he can't come with me, so i know i would have to express at some point during it so i'm not uncomfortable, i'm just wondering how often! At the moment he feeds every 3 hours in the day, and i alternate, so each side gets a go every 6 hours. The other night he had a good stretch of sleep so one side went 11 hours without a go, and it was painful and leaking everywhere when i woke up!

Any advice would be fab as i need to make a decision soon!

xxx

Replies

• Hi Tigerlily image

when you first start weaning he'll still be having pretty much the same amount of milk for a little while coz the amount of solids he's actually having is so small, and he'll drop feeds pretty gradually, but going for my own experience I would say by 8 months my baby could go 6 or 7 hrs without milk, but I could probably go about 12 hrs before getting engorged. So I imagine you'd only have to express once or twice on your treck xx
  • we are weaning at the moment and she is having 4 boobie feeds and 3 meals, she does faff with the afternoon feed so that may go next
  • we started weaning at 5 months, ie 4 weeks ago and he will drop one milk feed probably in a week or so. so then hed be having 5 milk meals and 1 full meal of solids. from there well start working on replacing another feed and so on. your milk will adjust and get less during the weaning process so you will likely be able to go for longer stretches as the weeks pass. the longest ive goen without bf is 9 hours i think, this was at night and although i had a lot of milk it was painful yet. id say just see how things go, but id reckon youll be expressing maybe 2-3 times in 30h?