Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

any co sleepers?

Last one I promise!

I co sleep with my little girl and we don't seem to have any routine at night. This doesn't really bother me at the minute as I also have a four yr old who is playing up through the night and sleep is more important to me!

Iv no idea how many times she feeds through the night but am not going to move her to her cot until we have weaned so I'm satisfied she isn't hungry. She loves to suck for comfort but will not take a dummy, and iv tried every brand in the shops!

How easy did you find the transission? And were you able to implement a routine while you shared a bed? At the minute we go to bed at the same time but i would like her to be able to go to bed earlier on her own but she seems to sense when I'm not there and wakes up routing for a feed, if i stayed with her she wouldn't stir!

Replies

• how old is you lo? my son is 6 months now and we had him in a baby bay for the first 3 months or so, hes now in his cot as he outgrew the baby bay but thats also right next to my side of the bed so we are paractically cosleeping too. we never implemented a routine as such but when he was about 3 months old he started getting tired at night around the same time so we started steering him a bit to make that his bedtime. at 6 months now it works well. i also fed him whenever he wanted at night and now he usually only needs one feed at night although what with teething he sometimes wants to comfort feed. basically we just went with the flow, listened to his cues and then made adjustments and its worked well for us. he often still comes into our bed around 5am as he gets restless then but thats ok too.
  • Sorry, my little girl is 18 weeks. She is just in next to me no baby bay so she is literally touching me, i think thats how she knows when im not there!

We have a fairly good bed time routine as i have a four year old so they both have a bath, PJs on, story read whilst i feed then in bed by 7.30pm. However that means im also going to bed with the baby, or she is brought downstairs to sleep on me till i go to bed.

I dont actually mind her being in my bed, in fact i love having her there but would like my evenings back with hubby or a nice relaxing bath without her screaming her displeasure at being left with Daddy!
  • I have a 5 year old and a 9 month old. I co slept with my 5 year old an am doing it again with my baby. I moved my 5 year old in to a bed next to ours at 11 months and she was fine. My baby now has the same routine each night and I, like you have to go to bed with my baby. Sometimes I attempt to get up and she wakes but although I miss my evenings I am pleased to have the sleep. Sometimes to get the baby to stay asleep without me I have let her lie on a piece of my clothing or put her between two pillows (down at her waist so not near her face) then she is tucked in tight and put some of my worn clothes around the pillows so she can smell me and thinks I am there. It only works for about an hour and a half but still, gives me a little break x
  • Hi, I co slept with my dd up until she was one, and she was next to me. I have always been led by baby, and let routines fall into their natural pattern rather than forcing them and its worked for us...with co sleeping I thnk you need to be flexible.

I used to go upstairs to settle her and if I waited until she entered a deep sleep I could then sneak back down stairs and spend some time with my hubby lol. I adored co sleeping and she still comes in now if she wakes in the night and we have a woderful sleepy cuddle and there is nothing better in the world image

If ever she woke however she was not able to self settle.

When she moved into her own bed it was difficult and she kept wanting to come in with us- naturally as she thought my bed was her bed but after a lot of patience and time she finally accepted her 'new bed'. I'd say it took a good three months to get her to actually go down in her own bed happily. I used to think she would never do it. But now she loves her bedroom and happily goes to bed everynight-I think not forcing the issue makes life so much easier.

I am not co sleeping this time around with my dd2. She is only a week old and is happy going down in her moses basket and will not settle on me at all (the complete opposite to dd1!) but if she changes and becomes more clingy in order for me to get sleep I will co sleep again.