Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

OWWWW!

My DS is only two and a half weeks and has fed really well since birth - he had already gained 11oz at 10days and I BF my DD so I know what I'm doing - but he clamps really hard when he's feeding from the left breast and it hurts!

I don't have any visible nipple trauma but it feels severely bruised and when he's finished feeding the end of my nipple is white.

He's a big hungry baby but I have plenty of milk and there isn't a problem with the right breast.

Any suggestions? My DH is back at work and I'm going to struggle to get to the BF clinic with my DD as well.

Many thanks

Mrs B xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Sounds bad, I'm not an expert my one suggestion would be try to express a bit before he starts to see if its due to a slow letdown? He might need to suck strongly to get started and then carries on?

Possibly worth a go? Good luck.

Mooomin x
  • Options
    hi monkey nuts

get a nipple shield and feed through that till it heals - they are a lifesaver x
  • Options
    Nipple shield I would second that, plus Lanisoh nipple cream
  • Options
    Hey monkeynuts.

I have had exactly the same with my dd. She's 4 weeks today and fed brilliantly for first 2 1/2 weeks then sudden pain in both nipples. I didn't have any visible trauma either and just white at ends. I continued as normal but used lansinoh for a few days after every feed, and now both breasts are fine again. So give the lansinoh a try. xxx
  • Options
    hi. This could be early thrush. Check in their mouths for little white bits. Thrush generally makes your breasts feel stingy after feeding and generally very sensitive. It can cause the nipple to turn white. Pro biotics help but thrush would need a visit to the doctor. As you've fed before i'd say its not raynaud's but it could be for others. Feeding can be so different between babies so there may be some boob preference. Until you see a counsellor i'd say just be ultra vigilant with latching on and try to relax. Lasinoh is good if they're dry and ice or heat can soothe irritable or bruised boobs.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies - I have managed to get to the BF clinic although the pain is easing now and they think I have a really forceful let-down in my left breast and my little man has decided that the best way to control it is to bite my nipple!

Have been feeding lying back which is helping a bit but hopefully it will continue to improve as my supply sorts itself out.

Mrs B xxx